Sunday, March 14, 2010

The blessing of challenging times

Things have been challenging here lately. I've written a lot about most of it, but to recap- financial problems, not-to-serious-but-worrisome health problems for Ethan, a very close family member being diagnosed with a progressive auto-immune disease, and another very close family member telling me about a serious case of osteoporosis and the very real threat of a broken hip or back at any time. Add that to a lot of stress at Daniel's job and my struggles with trying to adapt to the change from income-generating career woman to stay-at-home-mom... and things have just been challenging. Not bad, challenging.

I heard someone recently (and I cannot remember who said this, I apologize!) make the statement that it's not climbing the mountain that's going to drive you insane, it's the grain of sand in your shoe while you make the climb. I told Daniel that and he laughed and agreed that that statement definitely applies to us lately.

Today I ended up going to church by myself since Ethan woke up with a cold. And I am so blessed that I did. It was the first time in probably a year that I've been able to just sit and listen to the service without any distractions of kids or nursing or pregnant bladder to distract me. It was a great sermon, but I also had time during the worship and prayers to reflect on all the things that God has been telling me lately through some wonderful Christian blogs and books and podcasts.  Pretty much everything that I have heard lately has been speaking directly to me and saying "Stop worrying about what all these little things mean to your life.  You are on the path that I put you on. Focus on Me and what I want your life to be. Trust Me, I know what I'm doing and I am doing this all for a higher purpose than what you can understand.  Immediate happiness and ease of living is not My goal for you.  Have faith."

I'm like a lot of people, when things get easy I tend to slip in my devotions and prayer life.  It takes a jolt to make me wake up and realize that I've drifted and need to refocus and get back on track. I'm so glad to serve a God who is patient with me and is there holding out His hand and waiting for me.  Once again (I know I've said this here many times before, and I'm sure I will many times in the future!) I need to refocus off the things of daily life and on the One who holds my daily life in His hands.

Our church is starting a Bible study on the book of Ruth this week, which is one of my favorite books in the Bible, so I'm hopeful about being able to fit that into my schedule.  It's always nice to hear other people's insights and wisdom first hand. And to get to chat with some wonderful women from my church is nice too.

In other news, how totally annoying is this switching on and off daylight savings time when you have small kids? And Vivian is teething and Ethan has a cold, so their sleep is already messed up- we have no idea what time it is or who should be sleeping when! :)

No comments: