Friday, January 29, 2010

Why you should keep your kids' carseats rear-facing until 2 years old

Another cross-post from my review blog. This is not related to a review, just something I feel very strongly about. I don't get on my soapbox about many things as a mom, but carseat safety is the one thing that I am currently very passionate about.  Every mom deserves one, right? 



"Your small little love is 75% less likely to die or incur a serious injury if rear-facing when riding the car."
"Your beloved little babe is five times safer in a car crash while riding rear-facing when between 12-24 months than if you flipped them forward facing." From this article
I've been hearing from various news sources the new information from the American Academy of Pediatrics that we should keep our kids rear-facing as long as possible- it was an easy choice for my family since my son didn't pass 20 pounds until closer to 2 than 1. We didn't turn him around until a couple of months ago.  If you have a kid in the 1-2 year old range, think about turning them back. And if your baby is almost 1, think about waiting a while before turning the carseat. Read this great article by a Seattle pediatrician for all the information.

No comments: