Friday, January 15, 2010

Packing for travel with the baby

I think I've written about this before, but one of the biggest challenges for me in traveling with my kids is the amount of "stuff" they need to have to travel. I am a huge minimalist, so for me successful packing= a tiny bag.

So I am SO proud that I managed to pack for a 4.5 day trip for Vivian and I in a suitcase that could actually make it as a carry-on. Of course, I would not be able to manage this without the washing machine and already-purchased diapers waiting for me at my parents' house. Of course, I have not yet packed my diaper bag or Vivian's entertainment bag, and those might be bigger than my suitcase.

In the depressing news, I read this article today- it's talking about how people with short connection times flying through the Atlanta airport and on Atlantic Southeast Airlines (all of which I am!) have a bigger chance of having their luggage lost. Fabulous! Let's hope that this doesn't hold true for me!

It's going to be interesting to see how the kids get through this time apart. Vivian will be fine, I'm sure, because she will still have adoring audiences and cats to chase. And I think Ethan will be fine too, since he will have grandparents and Daddy. But my kids are awfully fond of each other, so I'm sure they'll be a little confused. They love each other and want to be around each other all the time- but when they are around each other they fight CONSTANTLY. I could write about it, or I could just direct you to read this post by my friend Maggie.

In other news, how much does this Haiti earthquake situation hurt? I can barely stand to think about all the families that have been torn apart. Please donate to a charity organization if you can spare even a few dollars. They really need our help.

2 comments:

Doc.Vaughn said...

Any chance you'd be willing to post your packing list for the baby? I'm having a really tough time finding a minimalist packing list for traveling with a baby. Most include even baby monitors and inflatable baby baths!

Mommyto3andahusky said...

Have a great trip! FYI I have traveled SO much both internationally and all over and have never lost luggage, plus most of the time I fly through Atlanta. Have a safe trip! :)