Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Now comes the time in the trip in which we cry

My flight back home leaves in just over 6 hours. I'm all packed and pretty much ready to go. Just need to shower and grab a bagel in the morning, then we're off to the airport. I'm praying hard about making my connection in Atlanta- I have 45 minutes to get from one flight to the next, including deplaning and waiting for my stroller time. But I learned some lessons on my way out- like fold up the stroller and carry it and the bags and the baby up the escalator instead of waiting 4-5 minutes for the elevator on each end of the train ride.  Hopefully that'll leave enough time to actually go to the bathroom and change Vivian's diaper before the 5 1/2 hour plane ride.

I'm spending time thinking about nonsense like that because I hate this part of trips.  You have to understand something about me to know why I hate it so much- I don't do sad.  In college I was in a serious relationship, my first one.  And when it ended I was fairly significantly depressed for a number of months. I don't even really remember about 3 months after the break up. That's for the best, I think.  Since then, I have done everything in my power to avoid being sad.  I don't read sad books (in fact I read the last two pages of books almost immediately after starting them to make sure they end well), I don't watch sad movies (again, going so far as to read spoilers of every movie I see before I see it). And I don't put myself in situations where I'm going to be sad about things.

Unfortunately, life sometimes has sadness that is unavoidable. Such as when I refuse to give into my parents' (semi-serious) pleas to pack up and move across the country to live closer to them.  And when either they have to get in the car and drive to the airport to leave us, or when I have to take my baby from their arms and walk through airport security to get on a plane to leave them. Not a top 10 moment in my life.

We'll see them again in May, and I know the time will pass quickly, but I also know it's never fast enough for them. And the first few days away are so hard on everyone. 

I am looking forward to seeing my Ethan and my Daniel again in just a few hours though- if all goes well, I'll be home in about 17 hours. It will be awfully nice to all be together again. 

Off to sleep now for a bit. Hope everyone is having a great week.

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

Leaving love is never easy! Safe travels, friend.

Ashley said...

I know how you feel! Whenever my parents leave or we leave after a visit, my mom always starts to cry which makes ME cry or feel like crying. I hate it too!