Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's 5 AM and something is beeping in my house. Loudly.

I'm starting to think that it may have been something connected with the baby monitor, since the beeping sound has not gone off since I gave up and got out of bed to figure out where the noise was coming from. But before that, there were two LOUD beeps, about 10 minutes apart. We just replaced the batteries in the smoke detectors, so I don't think that's it. The cats and I are all sitting in the living room, looking jumpy, just waiting for the next beep.

I wrote about this on Facebook yesterday, so apologies if it's a repeat for some of you. But oh my goodness, Ethan cracked me up yesterday. As I mentioned earlier, the kids are interacting quite a bit now, and not really getting along well.  Vivian is sitting up all the time, so she's playing with more toys than she used to. And whatever toy she has in her hand is (of course), suddenly Ethan's favorite toy and he cannot live without it, not even for one second.

So there's a lot of angst during playtime these days.  The funny part comes when the desire for the toy Vivian is playing with gets to be too much for Ethan, and he runs over and rips it out of Vivian's hand/mouth. Then, as he runs off with it toward his bed, and she starts to wail, he helpfully yells "baby crying!" over his shoulder. He likes to tell me whenever Vivian is crying. There's nothing like being micromanaged by a 2-year-old. But I find it especially amusing when the cause of the baby crying is his actions, yet he still feels the obligation to make sure I'm up to speed on what's going on with her.

Still no beeping.  I think I'm going to try going back to bed and see what happens. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Lol@ethan

I am having some similar issues now that Megan is 9 months and able to play with Emma who is 2 1/2. For the most part they laugh and smile at each other and Emma is sweet to her baby sister. But for the last week, when our backs are turned, Emma turns into the devil towards her sister.

In the last 3 days alone we have caught her pushing her sister over then shoving her face into the carpet, and she has bitten her ear and finger. HARD. I don't know what to do about it. I am just hoping that by staying consistant on punishment that she will get the idea and stop.. or I will teach Megan to bite back...ha too bad she has no teeth.

Good luck with Ethan!

craftyashley said...

I've found that when our cell phones are even remotely close to the monitor receiver it makes a horrible sound. Worse than nails on a chalkboard!
Love your blog!