Thursday, December 10, 2009

Thoughts on being a grown-up

Before I get all whiny and annoying again (sorry), just wanted to say- Vivian has teeth! Two of them! They have been in the works for a while, but finally popped through a few days ago. Both of them at the same time.  And then she slept all through the night last night for the first time in ages, so we're thinking her teeth were hurting a bit more than she let on.

Okay- so when you were young, how did you picture adulthood? I remember dreaming of being able to eat as much candy as I wanted and staying up as late as I wanted. I'm not sure I really thought it out beyond that.  The candy eating part was pretty accurate- I have the hips to prove that one.  As for the staying up late, occasionally I do that too, but most of the time I'd rather go to sleep early than pretty much anything else :)

I like adulthood- I like my life and my family and the things I get to do. But boy, adulthood is full of far too many situations that require maturity and wisdom in decisions.  So annoying!  I've got a couple of those things going on right now. 

For the first one, I'm trying to decide on whether or not to buy a new coffeemaker. I have a perfectly functional coffeemaker, but it leaks and I hate it with a passion. And so I really want the low-end model of the fancy pod coffeemaker. Which is on sale for a reasonable price... but now that I'm not working and we had the trip to Great Wolf last weekend and have a trip to Portland coming up in a few weeks, so I should be a mature adult and make the responsible decision to not spend the money. Ugh.

And in another, more important decision, I'm trying to decide whether or not to wean Vivian.  I've never been a fan of breastfeeding- it just has never been something that I enjoy in the slightest. But it's been easy for me and I know it's good for the kids, so I never had a reason to quit.  Last night I kind of snapped a bit though- between the pregnancies and breastfeeding, I've either been growing a person in my body or feeding a person from my body for 33 of the last 36 months, and I'm ready to have my body back! And I'm tired of trying to figure out feeding her when we're out, it's hard to be discreet when you're well-endowed and when the baby is a big fan of lifting up the nursing cover :) But again, I know it's good for Vivian, and with cold and flu season in high gear, I feel a little guilty about quitting right now. So I'm not sure what I'm going to end up doing with that situation either.

And on an amusing note- Vivian gave up sucking her thumb today and started sucking her big toe instead. We're so proud.


 
 

No comments: