Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas recap

We had a really nice Christmas this year. Hurray for a nice Christmas!  I told Daniel that I think having my normal hanging-out-with-his-family-and-not-speaking-the-language-and-being-50-pounds-heavier-than-every-other-woman-and-getting-freaked-out-by-too-many-crowds-everywhere freakout two days before our visit really saved time and energy for the weekend. :)  The major drawback to the weekend was actually nothing more major than the fact that his parents have downgraded their cable package and no longer have HGTV. Since we don't have cable, I always look forward to hanging out there and watching cable and now they dont have HGTV or any of the other channels that I love. But I survived :)

Vivian's banquet also went well and she got lots of fun presents and red envelopes. Love the red envelope tradition.

There were a couple of funny things from this weekend that I was mentally blogging about while we were experiencing them.

1. On Saturday, Daniel and I decided to go to a movie while his parents watched the kids. But the local movie theaters are at the shopping malls, and Saturday was Boxing Day, a HUGE shopping day in Canada. Think the day after Thanksgiving. But worse. So instead of us driving and trying to find parking, his dad drove us to the mall and dropped us off and then came back and picked us up several hours later. I kept giggling that I felt like I was 14 and on a date with a high school boyfriend, not a married woman and mom of two in her 30s who was going to a movie with her husband :)

2. Okay, so last week I was reading this post over at Cake Wrecks about Yule Log cakes. Then we got to Canada and ate our Christmas dinner and then Daniel's mom brought dessert out.  And it was a Yule Log cake. A pink one. With Santa hidden on the back, and Hello Kitty and various Easter creatures featured prominently on the front. I made some comment about getting the camera to take pictures of the kids and ran to grab it so that I could document it for you all here :) You can thank me later.


 

I hope you all had equally entertaining Christmas holidays.  We're home briefly, then off to another trip Tuesday morning. So, Happy New Year to you all! 

2 comments:

rh said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I don't speak the same language as my in-laws and they're from the midwest.

And that United Nations yule log cake you have there is pretty awesome. No character is forgotten!

Ashley said...

I'm glad you had such a great Christmas! Happy new year and I hope you have a wonderful 2010 too!!!