Sunday, November 22, 2009

On being the worst daughter-in-law ever

I had a tickle in my throat on Thursday, which turned into full-fledged laryngitis, complete with horrible sore throat and tiredness on Friday. So by Saturday, I have to admit, I was slightly less than thrilled at the idea of driving 45 minutes north of Seattle to meet up with my in-laws so that Daniel could drive them back to the city (my father-in-law doesn't drive well in traffic).  We had a nice lunch, but I had almost no voice when we met up, so I didn't really talk to my in-laws, and I'm pretty sure they thought I was being terribly unfriendly.  Then I drove the kids back home and after Daniel got back with his parents, I finished running the errands that had to be run that day. And I skipped out on dinner, since I felt more or less like death by dinnertime. 

There are times when the language barrier is really helpful, and there are times when it is a pain in the butt. I know that this weekend, I seemed like the world's least friendly person, when in reality I was just mostly voiceless and utterly energyless. Hopefully my in-laws will not be too upset, especially given that my husband's brother and his wife got back from their month-long European honeymoon yesterday, so the good daughter-in-law is now back home and living across the street from them.  Oh, and I grew them TWO cute grandchildren. So, I think I did my good daughter-in-law job.

After church today, we had lunch with the in-laws and then they headed north and we decided to head south to IKEA. But Ethan didn't nap until 5 minutes before we got to IKEA, so we decided to keep driving and ended up at another mall. Where I found the world's greatest sale going on at the Ann Taylor outlet store. There was a dress that I tried on this summer and loved, but couldn't justify paying $100 for. People, I got the dress for $6.50, after the buy one/get one $50 off sale and the additional 15% off. Granted, it's a size too small for my gigantic breastfeeding bosoms, but that will hopefully change in the not-so-distant future. I love this dress so much- it will be a good motivation for weight loss for me. 

So now you're all up to date on my weekend. Way too much activity going on, given that I'm not entirely well, but it was great to get out of the house for a while, and hopefully my in-laws will forgive me for my lack of friendliness. Now we just have to get through 3 days before Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

I'm SURE Daniel conveyed that you were feeling poorly and weren't being rude. And NICE WORK at the Ann Taylor, girl! Spring will come quickly and you can wear that pretty dress!

The captcha is sablesto. It sounds like "You went SABLESTO on Ann Taylor and came home with a new wardrobe."

Ashley said...

Wow, I wish I had found that great sale! You sound like a pretty good daughter-in-law to me. You gave them cute grandkids!