Saturday, November 7, 2009

Living my life, and trying to enjoy every minute of it

So, last night, Vivian decided to "decorate" our duvet cover with unspeakable things, so I had to do an extra load of laundry and wash everything. But that's not the point of this story. The point is this. While our duvet was in the wash, we used our spare blanket- one that is nice, but not quite the right size for our bed. It's one that Daniel has had since he was single- but when I met him, it was covered up in the most hideous homemade comforter cover that you have ever seen in your life. Because that's what his family did- they wanted to keep the nice, pretty blanket clean, so they covered it with a cheap cover that would protect it.  And also keep anyone from ever seeing the pretty (and might I add, machine washable!) blanket. I had no idea that such a nice blanket was inside until after we were married and I was packing Daniel's things up for us to move.

A few years ago I read an article written by Teresa Strasser, the one-time host of While You Were Out. She was talking about moving and packing up boxes full of fancy lotions and candles and things like that- things that she loved, but that she never used because they were "special" things. And she talked about changing that in the future- using the "special" things because they make her feel good, and that shouldn't be something saved for the future.

That really struck me at the time and has stuck with me since then . I think maybe it's a product of where I'm from (and where I bet a lot of other people come from). One of my grandmothers was a cover-the-furniture-in-plastic type person. I distinctly remember my dad wanting to cover our new couch with something, until my mom finally asked him what exactly he was saving it for.  I'm all for keeping my things nice and taking good care of things, but what are we saving them for? Why shouldn't we get to enjoy the things that we work hard for? Why cover the couch with plastic now in the hopes that we'll get to still have our lovely (plastic-covered) couch 10 years from now?  Why store the expensive lotion in the cupboard where it will gather dust and go bad, just because we're saving it for a "special" time in the future.

So I'm burning my nice candles as I write this, and then I'm going to take a shower and wash off the baby vomit smell and put on a beautifully-scented body lotion and my nice pajamas before I go snuggle with my baby and my husband. Because I am alive today, and I am going to enjoy every minute of it.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Amen sister!

Mommyto3andahusky said...

I love this! :) It's like eating everyday on your special china because every day IS a special day! :)

Amy Webb said...

Great! Definitely something to remember.