Friday, November 27, 2009

Christmas conundrums

So, it's apparently the Christmas season now! I'm still confused by this- seriously, telling apart the seasons in Seattle can get a little challenging at times. Today is a glorious day- beautiful and sunny, and just a little on the cold side. I had big plans to not go out today, since we're completely exhausted from Thanksgiving, but Ethan made me get down the stroller and take the kids for a walk! It was nice to get out. Unfortunately, I stopped by the drugstore to get candy for the advent calendar and discovered the Hershey's Minature mint collection. OH MY GOODNESS.  Stay away from those if you like mint and chocolate and want to have any hope of not gaining 1000 pounds this month. 

And now we're back home, and I'm trying to limit myself to 2 pathetic Skype messages to Daniel per hour. He had to work today and originally informed me he would come home early. "Early" is looking like 5 PM. Which, yes, is earlier than he usually gets home, but not "holiday weekend early".  We're decorating the condo tonight, so I'm anxious for him to get back!

Okay, my Christmas conundrums.
1. Do I make cookies for or give some sort of little gift to my mailman? I've never done that in the past, but I've heard of people doing that. And my mailman is so nice to me- I live in a condo building, and instead of leaving my packages downstairs near the mailboxes, like he used to do, he knows that I'm home during the day, but that I have the kids and can't get down there easily, so he brings things right to my door. And he does his little secret knock and is so friendly and happy all the time.  Is a little token gift appropriate?

2.  I have no idea what to get Vivian for Christmas. I found a cute Chinese baby doll for infants, but her grandparents needed an idea, so we let them buy that for her. Ethan is getting one of the toys that's been stacked up in his closet- actually something I won for him in a giveaway earlier this year and decided he didn't need right away.  We're not huge into gift giving on Christmas, usually we limit our budget pretty strictly and just do one or two gifts each. But I have no ideas what to get Vivian. She doesn't need clothes or shoes or dolls.  She has a ton of baby toys that were Ethan's, so that's out too. Any suggestions? Space and money in our home are both limited, but if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them! I need to have something for her to open on her first Christmas!

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving yesterday. Ours was busy, but really nice. No problems catching the ferry either direction and a good dinner with family.  The kids were wiped out by the end of the day, and Vivian was so overstimulated by everything that she refused to go to sleep until 2 AM, but at least there was a good Mythbusters marathon on for me to watch while I tried to get her to go to sleep :)

Have a good weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Yes to giving the mailman cookies or a small gift card - sounds like he looks out for you and if you have the inclination, why not?

If space is limited and Vivian doesn't really need anything, what about a small piggybank you can drop some change into from time to time? Even if no particular gift idea springs to mind now, the change adds up and if she needs or wants something in the future or you run across a book you'd like to read to her, the funds could come from the piggybank.

Will take your mint collection warning to heart. Thanks for the heads up!