Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A break from the Seattle darkness

For some reason, I still haven't gotten used to the idea of Thanksgiving in the rain. My brain is just not comprehending that it's actually the end of November and that Thanksgiving is tomorrow.  We don't have a whole lot of change of season here, especially in the city where I don't really see many trees or anything like that. It starts raining at the end of September and rains until May and, honestly, I often have trouble remember what month it is.

To me, Thanksgiving still means chilly weather and lots of trees and leaves. I spent 10 years of my life living in East Tennessee, and that's what I think of when I think of Thanksgiving.  Raking up piles of leaves with my dad and brother so that our front yard is spotless before our dinner guests show up.  Yes, my obsessive-compulsive tidiness is hereditary :)

But, whether I realize it or not, tomorrow is Thanksgiving here in the US! Wow, this year is going so fast. We're headed over to my grandmother's house on the other side of the water- so we'll get up and get in line for the ferry pretty early tomorrow. It should be a fun day- it's always great to catch up with relatives and show off the kids.

Then on Friday, the wonderful break from the darkness and rain will start- in the evening the Space Needle and one of the radio towers will be lit up with lots of sparkling lights. All the holiday festivities will start at the Seattle Center and downtown there will be bell ringers and lighted trees and shoppers bustling about. Everyone will be sipping their Starbucks holiday drinks and smiling. I love this time of year, it's one of the best things about living in the city.

Anyway, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving with lots of friends, family and great food. And please know that you all are one of the things that I'm thankful for! My blog friends have helped me so much in the last few years- being a mom is hard, but you are such a blessing and encouragement to me. Hugs to you!

No comments: