Thursday, November 26, 2009

At risk of sounding like a cliche, I'm thankful

Things I'm thankful for today:

My husband. Seriously. He's the most amazing man I could ever have dreamed of loving. He is exactly what I need to balance my craziness out- always calm, always positive, always happy to jump in and take care of whatever needs to be done. NEVER complains (it's really a little scary), never makes comments about my insanity. Always just loves me and our kids. I am beyond blessed in this area.

Ethan. He kicks my butt and pushes all of my buttons 99.9% of most days. But he also has opened my eyes in a lot of ways regarding some of my personality characteristics and my responses to things. And he's funny and silly and thinks that if he puts a blanket over his head, he's invisible to the world. I love this kid.

Vivian. A year ago she was making me nauseous and making me lose weight (thanks!). And I had no idea what a rough pregnancy was ahead of me. I can't tell you how many times I was 100% sure that she wasn't going to make it and that we wouldn't get to know her as a person. But she did and she's healthy and everything is good and it's hard to believe that I was so scared of losing her. Vivian has the greatest smile and the sweetest personality ever, and she wants to be with me 24/7, which drives me insane and makes me feel SO loved, all at the same time.

My other family. I am so blessed to have wonderful parents who love me and my brother and each other and God and who are always there for me. And I have wonderful grandmothers who think everything I do and everything my kids do is amazing. Then there are all the other relatives around- they're all pretty great too. And all Daniel's family- they cause me a bit of stress, but they're so welcoming and loving of me, even though I don't understand their culture or language or eat their foods. Yet they still are kind and sweet anyway. I don't deserve them.

And I am SO blessed in the job part of my life. I have 6.5 years of history with a company that truly values me as an employee and is willing to work with me, even through my almost non-stop maternity leaves and high-risk pregnancies of the last three years, and my constant waivering in the work/don't work aspect of life. And even though me not working puts a good bit of financial strain on my family, it's a manageable strain, and thanks to my husband's job, it's one we can live with. I know this is not a situation that a lot of people are in, and I do not take it for granted.

Most of all, I am thankful today that God loves me, and that He is patient with me, even though I so often act towards Him just like Ethan acts towards me. I do not deserve all the mercies and blessings in my life.

And again, thanks to all of you. I frequently joke about being on the computer too much and my kids not being able to identify me without a laptop in front of me, but the truth is that you keep me sane. Being able to put my angst out there into the world and having people write to me and tell me that they understand and that I am going to be okay- PRICELESS. I love you all. To my American friends- stay safe on your travels and have a great Thanksgiving meal! And to the rest of you- love you all too.

1 comment: