Thursday, September 3, 2009

Refocusing

So, yesterday I blogged, then I cried, then I laid on the couch and watched Season 1 of Mad Men with Vivian while Ethan napped. And then I got up and got on with things. And when I calmed down, I realized that things are okay. God has never let us down before and He's certainly not about to start. 

And I also realized that by working 5 hours per week, I can make up for a good portion of Daniel's salary cut. I'm SO blessed to have a job that I can do from home, on whatever schedule I need to do it.  I have been working at this company for 6 years now, since the days when I was a single person who worked holidays and weekends, so I have a good reputation at the company and they're happy to have me under whatever conditions I need to put on things. Don't hate me, please. :)  We sent out an email this morning saying I had some time and my email box filled up with tasks right away. I'm excited about the opportunity to use my brain again and to actually be able to accomplish something concrete, even if it's just a small task here and there.

So now it's a matter of working really hard on learning balance and limits.  I spent some time this morning going through my google reader and purging. Yes, I love entering giveaways and reading blogs, but that is taking up a lot of my time, and cannot be my top priority right now.  I waste a lot of time on the computer, and if I'm going to be on the computer, I need to be doing something productive. 

I also am going to work really hard at getting things done during naptime and after bedtime and not allowing work to creep into my time with the kids. This was a struggle for me before, and I don't want it to get to be a problem again. If work starts to interfere with my real life, then it's going to have to go away again.

We're also going to focus extra hard on watching our miscellaneous spending. By we, I mean me, since Daniel rarely spends any money. I've said this before, but I'll say it again, it's those little expenses that are dangerous- they add up fast and they add up big.

And, most of all, we're doing lots of praying. For wisdom about Daniel's job, for the future of the company, and that out of this our family will be able to draw closer and refocus on what's important in our lives.

He's never let us down. I look forward to seeing where He's taking us now and what He has in store for us.

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

That post feels good. So nice that you can pick up some extra hours. And 5 per week won't be too crimping to your style!

Felicia said...

Absolutely.. God will never let you down. It is amazing the wonderfully faithful God we serve.

It can be a hard balance... being a mom and trying to work as well.. I struggle with it constantly!

Jen said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Jen in Canada

Amy Webb said...

5 hours a week sounds like a great solution. I'm sure you'll find ways to balance everything. It's great that you have a flexible employer. Good luck and God bless!