Friday, September 18, 2009

Friendships

I'm thinking a lot about friendships today. This morning I spent time with good friends from college- they were in town briefly on their way out to an Alaskan cruise. We were able to have dinner together last night and then I met them for coffee this morning before they boarded their ship. Even though we keep in touch fairly well on Facebook, we never talk on the phone or anything like that, since they have 3 small kids and I have 2 and we live in different time zones. We just never both have free time at the same time. So our keeping up is limited to posts on each other's Facebook pages and the occasional email.

It was so nice to chat and laugh about old times, and when we parted ways at the Monorail late this morning, I found that I was really sad. Unexpectedly so. I've moved quite a bit in my life and I have friends all over the world, so I'm used to saying goodbye to people a lot and, honestly, I rarely get sad about it.

But there was something about hanging out with them last night and today that really was an encouragement to me- and it took me a few minutes to realize what it is. I realized that it's been a long time since I've spent time with people (other than Daniel) who truly KNOW me. These are people I've known since I was 18. The wife of this couple and I were EMTs on the local ambulance crew together and we were teaching assistants together for chemistry classes at our college. They saw me through two rough breakups and I watched them go from a dating couple to newlyweds to parents. They prayed me through my time living overseas and working as a missionary and never failed to encourage me. And they rejoiced when I met Daniel and we started our own family.

I have a lot of wonderful people in my life now, but to most of those people I'm 1) Daniel's wife, 2) Ethan and Vivian's mom, 3) a scientist or 4) some whiny woman who blogs about all her life angst :) I rarely spend time with people who know my history or who have known me for more than a couple of years, those people with whom I can just pick up a conversation where we left off, even if it's been a year since we last talked. I didn't realize how much I'd been missing it. Here's to old friendships. They rock!

On a similar note, Daniel and I are trying to decide what to do about our marriage/family bible study group this year. We're involved with a wonderful bunch of people and have enjoyed spending time with them and talking about parenting and marriage and praying together. But this year I'm just feeling so off kilter and out of place that I'm not sure I have the emotional energy left to participate. We need to figure out soon what we're going to do, but neither of us seem able to make a decision.

Anyway, enough of that. It is a GORGEOUS day here. 70 degrees, sun is shining, light breeze. Seriously gorgeous. My friends are going to have a wonderful cruise out of Seattle tonight. It's so pretty today that even I, hater of all things outdoors, am tempted to head out again!

Have a great weekend everyone.

4 comments:

Traci Fritz said...

I can relate to how it feels to want to be around some who truly knows you. My husband and i relocated 2 years ago to be closer to family now that we have kids. Even though we have made new friends here, i deeply miss my friends I left behind when we moved. There is so much comfort in those few true friendships.

Mike said...

Just remembered a famous quote about friendship: "Friends are people who know everything about you, but borrows money from you anyway."

OK. I made that up.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com
Twitter: AboutParenting
Photo ideas? 100 Portrait Ideas

Lindsay said...

I hear you on the friends thing too. We feel incredibly isolated in that department where we are now, too. It is le suck as you know.

One Happy Family said...

I can totally relate!!! I've been on bed rest lately, and it has really surprised me how much I miss the social friendships that I had. I love my daughter and I love my husband- but there is just something about having a close girlfriend that makes your soul smile.