Friday, August 28, 2009

Waiting for mashed potatoes

I had the first part (of three!) of my oral surgery today. Today's fun was the tooth removal and bone graft, done under IV sedation.  I was warned that I would be really sleepy all day and not able to do much other than lie on the couch and nap. I was warned that the pain medications that I took later in the day would make me loopy.

I am completely and utterly fine.  I remember everything from the time they brought me out of the IV sedation and have had nothing but the vaguest bit of fuzziness from the medications.  At first I thought maybe I was imagining my fineness, so made Daniel proofread all the emails I sent out this morning and all the things I posted anywhere online, but he said they were all fine too.

Yeah, I have a VERY high tolerance for these things. It pretty much takes a vat of anything to make me feel side effects. And some pain medications flat out don't work on me at all. Which we discovered the night after Vivian was born, when the IV pain medication just made me ill and the first pill medication they gave me did nothing for the pain. I'm not hurting today though, so whatever I'm taking is a good drug- pain relief with no fuzziness.  I am doing the pump and dump on breastmilk for Vivian for the next few days. We were actually getting a bit overrun with stored breastmilk, so the timing works well.

Anyway, Daniel's out at the store now buying me soft foods.  I feel fine but still can't eat much for the next 2 or 3 days, so my diet will be heavy in the cream of wheat and mashed potatoes department.  I think it's going to be a pretty quiet weekend for us, which will be good, for my recovery from this dental surgery and for Daniel's general exhaustion. Life has been busy lately and the calendar doesn't seem to be lightening up any time soon.

On the whole counseling front...sigh.  I love my church. Really. It is a wonderful church with strong Biblical preaching and friendly people and lots of children's programs. But not so detail-oriented and they kind of suck at follow-up.  Daniel and I had actually talked to one of the pastors last year about getting into a mentorship or counseling of some sort.  And it never happened and the pastor just let it fall through the cracks. I am a pastor's daughter, so am the first to admit how busy pastors are and how much responsibility they have. But when your church members come to you and say they need help- follow through.

This time Daniel called a different pastor who is now in charge of the marriage program. Last Thursday. The pastor said he'd talk to his wife and call Daniel back on Friday. Nothing. Finally Daniel called again on Wednesday and didn't reach anyone. Then he called Thursday and ended up talking to the head of Children's Ministry who told Daniel "oh yes, XXX said to tell you to call YYY." No explanation of why or anything. Daniel called the pastor back again today and was told that this other man, an elder, is heading up a marriage mentoring program and will meet with us then match us up with someone.

Seriously, it's just too much work to have problems in this church! Remind me to get over my angst, just to save time :)  Hopefully we'll be able to continue moving this along and will actually get a good couple to mentor us and help us out in this time. We had a fabulous mentor couple before Ethan was born, but then they switched churches.  We'll be praying for an equally wonderful match-up this time.

Not much else new. Just working on my review blog, sending out lots of emails and getting a surprising number of people interested in having products reviewed.  I will be having giveaways starting soon, including ones from See Kai Run, LTD Chix and Baby Bistro Brands, so if those sound good, go visit my review blog!

1 comment:

Felicia said...

Wow. I am so sorry to hear about the lack of follow through going on with the church. I know that must be discouraging.

On the other hand, congratulations on your review blog!