Sunday, August 9, 2009

Happy birthday to the second love of my life

When Daniel and I got married 3 1/2 years ago (yes, we've had a very busy 3 1/2 years), we planned to wait to start trying to have kids until after our first anniversary. Then, in August of 2006, about 6 months after we got married, a man from our church was killed in a tragic car accident, leaving behind 4 kids and a wife pregnant with their 5th child. And we started really thinking about life and decided that, while we would love to spend more time traveling and spending our extra money, what really mattered in life was family. So we decided to start trying to have a baby. A few months later we succeeded in our endeavor. And 9 months after that... my Ethan was born. You can read all the details of the ridiculous effort that it took to get the stubborn baby out here and on the archives, under August 2007 (link to the archives on the bottom right-hand side of the screen).
















































And now, in the blink of an eye, he's two years old. And I've gone through that whole pregnancy and birth nonsense again since then! We have two little miracles in our lives! How is any of this even possible.

So, to celebrate his 2nd birthday, here is my letter to Ethan.

Dear second love of my life,

When I married your daddy, I thought that was the happiest day of my life and that I could never possibly feel more blessed. How wrong I was. Even though I admittedly (since it's recorded here in writing for all posterity) was not a big fan of being pregnant with you, I got over that fairly quickly and have been head over heels in love with you since then.

You have brought joy to our lives from the beginning. And not only to our lives, but to both sets of grandparents who had honestly started to think that they weren't going to ever experience grandparenthood. I think that the dictionary entries for "bliss", "love" and "happiness" should all have a picture of your grandparents when they're with you next to them.



































And your daddy. My goodness. I knew that I loved your daddy after we'd been dating for about six months. What I never expected was that I would end up loving him more and more as I saw him with you. When you were little he would just hold you and gaze at you. Now he lights up at the sight of you and I've never seen a bigger smile on his face than when he's running around the condo with you or when he's watching you do some random toddler thing. You bring him such joy.




















You're a handful- I'll be the first to admit that. And I have, often on this blog. I apologize in advance for the day that you realize that I've been telling a bunch of strangers about all the random and embarrassing things that you do. Trust me, it's much better for you that Mommy writes about it here and therefore manages to retain a small piece of sanity. You love to push the limits. If I tell you to not touch the power cord with your hands, you will immediately inch your little toes over to it. When I put a stop to that, then your beloved Monkey and Froggie will immediately take turns on it themselves. I have to admire that kind of dedication to misbehavior. (Of course, I only admit that here because, as far as I know, you cannot read yet and have no idea that I think that).

But you are so unbelievably sweet and loving and friendly too. We were worried about your behavior with Vivian, but you are the greatest big brother. Every morning you ask about the baby and then run to wherever she is to tell her "hi baby!". You love people and are always waving and greeting people and going over to them (even if the person is a total stranger) to hold their hand and say hi. I have never seen you go out in public without making at least one person smile. That is such a blessing to me.



I love you, Ethan. Happy 2nd birthday and thank you for blessing me with two years of happiness beyond what I ever imagined.

Love,
Mommy

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Happy Birthday Ethan!

Great post Carrie, really well complemented with the pics.

Mommyto3andahusky said...

happy birthday Ethan!!! That brought tears to my eyes. :) Great post!

Jessica and Michael said...

I swear, your pics make me tear up! I love them.

Lizzie said...

Oh, that made me teary! Such amazing creatures children are. Happy day, Ethan! We're fans of you too.

Mommyto3andahusky said...

http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/


hey check out this giveaway you can win free pics in the Seattle area! :)