Thursday, July 2, 2009

Things I have learned so far

Here are my pieces of wisdom from my vast experience of being a mom to 2 under 2. By vast experience, of course, I mean one month. So take all this with a grain or 40 of salt.

1. Having two kids is not twice as much work/busyness. More like 3 or 4 times as much.

2. When the baby wants to eat, we have to go through a long process EVERY time of reminding her how to latch on and suck and get her settled in a position she likes. Which changes at every feeding. This whole prolonged process triggers something in Ethan where he desperately needs to be lifted up or fed a snack or needs something that he can't reach and he must scream at the top of his lungs until his situation is resolved. Or he decides to misbehave and needs to be put in timeout. All of which mean I have to unlatch the baby and button myself up (for the good of the people on the street with a view into my condo) and deal with the situation and then start over with the baby.

3. Naptime is the most precious time of the day. NOTHING shall be allowed to mess with it. Ever. I went to a friend's house for a mom's group/bible study thing on Tuesday. And it was wonderful and I was so glad to get out and be with my friends. But Ethan fell asleep in the car on the long drive back and that was it for the day. A napless toddler plus Daddy getting home late because he has to take multiple buses (since I had the car) is a bad thing. So I think we're going to have to hold off on participating in that particular outing again until I'm more mentally stable and able to cope with a cranky toddler.

4. Sleep deprivation sucks. I forgot just how much. I never have been much of a napper, but I miss the freedom to take one if I wanted. Although the kids' naps overlap, it's not by enough to nap myself, and I'd still rather use the time to make a dent in my house stuff and computer stuff and veg out watching TV.

5. I've had to lower my standards for house cleanliness/organization by a lot. Daniel and I are neat freaks. Really bad neat freaks. But it's just not happening right now, and I'm having to deal with that and it's tough.

6. (not a new realization) My husband is a saint. He has a nasty cold and is really tired himself, but has been staying up with Vivian until midnight so I can get a couple of hours of sleep before staying up with our little night owl. I would not be even remotely able to cope without these few hours of sleep, so I am so grateful to him.

7. There is always laundry waiting to be folded. Even when I don't remember washing a load of laundry. I think it just spontaneously appears. Amazing.

8. It is possible to love two kids, each with 100% of your heart.

9. I am so blessed.

4 comments:

Mommyto3andahusky said...

At least you can get Ethan to take a nap! My Ethan and Kameron going 100 miles an hour and NEVER slow down. It is rough sometimes... :) But they are worth it aren't they? :) Erin

Two Sick Peas In A Pod said...

This blog will really make you feel grateful:

http://www.mattlogelin.com/

You may already know about it. Such an amazing dad after what he has gone through.

Ashley said...

Love this post! I totally agree with all of those. Having two little kids instead of one IS three or four times harder, and they always seem to need things at the same times!

Mommyto3andahusky said...

Carrie I gave you an award on my blog! :)