Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Poop

My conversation with Ethan this morning. Scene- our living room, about to sit on the couch and read a book to Ethan:
Me (smelling something): Ethan, did you poop?
Ethan (grabbing his diaper): No. (he's almost 2. That's ALWAYS the answer).
Me: You pooped, I can smell it. Let's go change the diaper.
Ethan says nothing, keeps playing.
Me, getting up to walk into the other room: Okay, let's go. You did a poop, we need to change it. Poop, poop, poop, poop (said in a sing-song voice).
Me, stopping suddenly in my tracks with horror at the realization that I am making up songs about poop. Starting to seriously worry about my sanity.

My life revolves around poop. And feeding. So we're always dealing with it on one end or the other. Last Sunday we made it to Target for the first time in ages. Target is usually my happy place and never fails to cheer me up. This weekend it failed. Not Target's fault though. The problem was that, while Daniel browsed the electronics section, I walked over to the baby section to get some things that we needed. And I saw the potty chairs and decided that we should probably get one of those.

Then I was overwhelmed by a wave of depression and dread. On a scale of 1-10, my not wanting to do potty training comes in at about a 45. Truthfully, I don't mind diapers at all, even now that I have two kids in them. Diapers are quick and easy, the mess is usually fairly well contained, wipe, wipe, wipe, roll up the diaper, deposit in the Diaper Champ and we're done. Everyone is clean and fresh smelling. Potty training is going to involve hanging out with Ethan while he does potty stuff and looking at it and interacting with it. The mere thought makes me want to run to the store and buy a giant jug of white wine. And cake, of course.

Oh, and then there's the fact that potty training just seems like such a grown-up, mom thing to do. And I'm still in denial about being both of those things. I don't think I'm ready for that level of grown-upness just yet.

I don't think Ethan is necessarily completely ready for starting potty training just yet, but he's definitely showing many of the signs, so I at least have to start thinking about it. And by thinking about it, I mean coming up with a plan to convince Daniel to take a month off work and deal with it so I don't have to :)

2 comments:

Two Sick Peas In A Pod said...

And besides, Poop stinks!
I am with you kid!

maggie said...

I am also soooo not interested in potty training. I just keep thinking that if I DID successfully potty train him any time soon, my entire summer will be spent in public bathrooms trying to get my kid to go. AND I DON'T WANNA DEAL. He's not raring to go so I'm not either.