Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thank goodness for dimly lit dressing rooms

I've pretty much spent the last 2 months trying to avoid looking at myself in the mirror. The pregnancy stretch marks all showed up overnight at 36 weeks, and I was horrified to see my reflection from that point on. And once I'd had my c-section, I certainly didn't want to see what I looked like. Two pregnancies and two c-sections in two years does not equal a happy, pretty abdominal area.

Unfortunately, I am seriously lacking in clothes that fit me, so shopping was becoming increasingly inevitable. Particularly for jeans. I'm back to my pre-Vivian-pregnancy weight and shape, more or less (do not be impressed, my pre-Vivian-pregnancy weight and size was still WAY larger than I should be for my height). However, pre-Vivian, I only had one pair of jeans that really fit, and when I put them on last week, I discovered that they had a very large hole in an area where you really don't want a hole in your jeans. So I had to go jeans shopping. 3.5 weeks after having a baby. Yeah, that's not depressing.

As I've mentioned before, I'm ridiculously cheap, so I headed up to Ross to find some jeans. I grabbed three pairs off the rack and went to the dressing room to try them on. The dimly lit dressing room, thank goodness. Let me just tell you, low rise jeans are NOT a good idea when a large portion of your body weight is concentrated in a post-baby pooch. I eventually found a pair that I feel I can wear without crowds of people pointing at me and laughing/running away while shielding their eye in horror. And they were cheap, which is also essential when buying clothes in a size that you never wanted to wear again (I'm at the same weight/size that I was 4 years ago, pre-weight watchers).

After the trauma of the jeans shopping, I came home and we went for a walk in the gorgeous weather. We did manage to get Vivian's passport picture taken. Taking a newborn's passport photo is not easy, but fortunately the photographer was patient and we did eventually manage to get something that will work.

Tomorrow is church and (weather-permitting) our first trip of the year to the wading pool. Hoping for sunshine!

And before I go- here's a picture of Vivian and her post-bath afro!

5 comments:

Lizzie said...

A) you're GORGEOUS. B) That hair! You know, she already looks bigger than Wed. in that picture.

maggie said...

Carrie that is a beautiful baby!

I still remember shopping after Jack. I think he was 2 or 3 months old and it was summer and I had NO SUMMER CLOTHES whatsoever and I cried in an Old Navy dressing room. It was awful awful awful. But if you're already back to your pre-pregnancy weight you're that much farther ahead! GO YOU!

Ashley said...

Gosh I'm glad I'm not the only one! I HATE my post-baby body, hate that I can't fit into my jeans, hate my stretch marks. I feel so ugly! And I'm still 15 pounds over my pre-second baby weight, so at least you're the same!!!

carrie said...

Oh, we have all been there - the post-baby jeans shopping! It is an experience that I never want to repeat and hope you don't mind that I found myself giggling as you described your experience!

You're doing great though mama, you should be proud of yourself.

And...that hair! OMG, it is the cutest thing ever! Love it.

An Ordinary Mom said...

Your daughter is beautiful!

I detest jeans shopping in general. But to go so soon being post partum? You are amazing :) !!