Thursday, June 25, 2009

Naptime=happiness

I have to say, even though I love my kids, I thank God every day for the wonder that is naptime. It gives me a chance to take part in those little luxuries of life, like going to the bathroom or combing my hair or eating. Thankfully the kids have been napping at the same time most of this week. It's pretty much the only thing that's saved my sanity.

Oddly enough, I'm already having a hard time believing that we didn't always have Vivian around. By no means have I figured out this whole two-kid thing, but having two kids around already seems normal to me. Definitely a different normal though, one in which my house is a disaster zone and I look so scary that I'm surprised Daniel doesn't scream in horror when he walks through the front door.

We've almost made it through the first week. We had friends come over and bring food yesterday (thank you again- and I finished off the cookies this morning!) and hang out with us, which was so much fun. Vivian and Ethan and I haven't actually set foot outside our condo door since we returned from church on Sunday, so it was nice to have visitors from the outside world. Tomorrow my best friend is coming over and I think I'll be up for venturing out for a walk, with her help. I'll let you know how it goes.

So I do have one new goal on my to-do list. Other than "figure out how to find time to fix hair and put on makeup every day". I have been so utterly humbled by the outpouring of love and friendship shown to us through the pregnancy with Vivian and after her birth. I have been blessed with visitors and food and prayers and fabulous friendship. And it's sort of shone a spotlight on my own life and my actions to others. I like to think that I'm a caring person, but I also know that I am very clueless as to the hands-on logistics of helping others out. When some one is sick, it just doesn't occur to me to offer to bring food (mainly because I dont cook and hate to inflict my cooking on them), and offering other forms of help usually also doesn't pop into my mind. I'm very self-centered that way, I tend to focus more on the upheaval it's going to bring to my life rather than what it would mean to someone else. I'm not sure exactly what my version of helping out would look like, given the no car situation and poor cooking skills. But I'm sure there is something that I could do to help others out, and I really want to try to find that.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. Naptime is quickly ticking away, and I need to go clean/organize something!

5 comments:

Linda @ My Trendy Tykes said...

I really wish my kids still took naps.

I hope you can get some things accomplished during your quiet time.

fivemonkiesreview said...

Thanks for entering my giveaway!

I thank God for bedtime! Finally a moment to breathe!

Ashley said...

I'm so glad you've had so much help and love! Naps are wonderful, I totally agree. Mine nap at the same time about half the time, and I love it when they do!

Alicia Arnold said...

Go to http://aliciasreviewgiveaway.blogspot.com/ for another chance to win Boogie Wipes (and lots of other stuff!)

An Ordinary Mom said...

Nap time or quiet time, whatever you want to call it. I cherish it. Dearly :) !!