Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bowling balls of pain

Yes, we're still alive and kicking here. Haven't been crushed by falling piles of diapers or anything :)

My parents showed up Monday afternoon and have been very busy entertaining Ethan since then. He's having the best time, especially with my dad. I think my dad was completely worn out by the end of their first day here though- a 22-month-old definitely has more energy than a 61-year-old! It's fun to watch them running around and having a great time though.

Vivian is still pretty much the same- sleeping 23.9 hours out of the day. Her jaundice is doing better though, and she hadn't lost any more weight at the last appointment. Feeding has still been quite a challenge- she still doesn't want to wake up to eat during the day, and when she does eat, she cluster feeds for an hour and a half or more. Then goes back to sleep for 4 hours. Of course, this does not apply at night, when she likes to be awake and eating all the time. Since my body is still trying to figure out this milk supply thing, the long feedings followed by the long pauses between feedings are leading to what I have decided to call "bowling balls of pain" attached to my chest. Hopefully we'll get this all figured out soon as she gets older and more able to stay awake and eat better.

So that's my life. Feeding the baby, trying to spend time with Ethan so he doesn't completely forget about me while he basks in the glory of spending time with his grandfather. Ethan's been doing well so far with Vivian in that he seems to have decided that she does not exist. He just completely ignores her. He doesn't get upset when someone is holding her- that person just gets included in Vivian's cloak of invisibility until he/she puts Vivian down. It's really funny to watch, and far preferable to crying/throwing things at her, so we'll take it!

Other than that, just trying to deal with the tiredness/baby blues/recovering from the c-section. Trying to remind myself that someday I will get to leave the house again and that Vivian's feeding will regulate and be less complicated soon(ish). Remembering that one day I will get to see friends and have an actual conversation again. Trying to not get discouraged, but that's easier said than done some days. Trying to hold on to the good things in my day and remembering that I'm incredibly blessed with this family and these adorable, healthy children. I'm definitely having a rough time right now, but I know it's mainly hormonal and I will get past this. until then, I think I need to eat more chocolate or something.



Check out her hair- it sticks straight up- too cute!

13 comments:

Lindsay said...

awww cute pic! Keep on truckin'!

Mommyto3andahusky said...

oh my! she is just adorable! :)

Lizzie said...

She is so precious, Carrie! You're doing such a great job.

maggie said...

Don't you think this How We Feed Babies thing has some serious flaws? Hopefully she's getting the hang of things. Keep up the good work, mama!

Mrs. Flinger said...

CONGRATS!!! Wow, I'm so awful at blogging that I'm horribly behind. Your family is adorable. I love the "they have great interest in each other."

LOL. Keep your head above water and you'll be doing better than most of us.

XOXOX

The Rathmell Family said...

Hi Carrie!

I've been stalking your blog ever since I saw a sweet comment you made on Beau and Brittany Daniel's blog and decided to check out your blog. Your kids are so cute! Vivian looks like she's wearing makeup in that picture--so pretty!

Hang in there, the newborn days (weeks) are so rough! I have a 6-month-old, so I still remember them well!

Susan Rathmell

Ashley said...

She is really cute! Hang in there with the feedings. I promise it will get better! And I'm so glad Ethan has his grandpa there to play with him. How nice for him and for you!!

AZMom said...

She is gorgeous!!! I am so behind on reading!! Your new daughter is beautiful!!

Angela said...

Aw I love the hair!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I really appreciate all the support!

MamaBear said...

Delurking to say that yes, the weeks following the birth of a newborn are without a doubt, one of the toughest parts of mommyhood. The lack of sleep, hormone fluctuations, feeding issues, and still trying to hold the other parts of your life together are enough to make the toughest cookie crumble. One of these days, though, the fog you are living in now will seem like a very distant memory, and you'll be shuttling kids from soccer practice to piano lessons and wonder how in the world you ever survived! But we all do, somehow.

Vivian is gorgeous! Praying she figures out the feeding thing very soon!

Amy said...

Hang in there, girl! It really doesn't last forever!! XO

PS: She is gorgeous - I love her cheeks (and what a beautiful complexion she has!)

Lindsay said...

How's it going Carrie? Busy as all get up I'm sure....just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and your little crew.

Eve said...

Oh Carrie, she's gorgeous! Sorry about the engorgement. I'm feeling it...on one side only. :)