Sunday, May 17, 2009

Half-Chinese water torture

It is a glorious day in Seattle!  Just perfect weather- almost 70 degrees and sunny.  A few wispy white clouds are floating around in the sky.  *Sigh of happiness*  Yesterday was just as nice, and we ended up having an impromtu barbeque with friends after our regularly scheduled home fellowship get-together.  It's been a while since I've sat around on someone's deck and enjoyed the smell of grilling hamburgers and the taste of fresh, sweet watermelon.  A slice of heaven, to be sure. Now I'm seriously craving watermelon, so I think Daniel's going to have to make a stop at the grocery store later today.  

Speaking of watermelon, I discovered yesterday that the use of salt on watermelon is a very controversial topic.  Our group of friends was very evenly divided between those who always eat their watermelon with salt (I fall into that camp) and those who do not (Daniel falls into that silly group).  I had no idea that it was a topic of so much debate!

Okay, so you're probably wondering about the title of my post.  [For those of you who are new to this blog, my husband is Chinese, so my son (and New Baby too, of course) are half-Chinese.] Anyway, Ethan is becoming more verbal all the time, and now knows quite a few words.  We still don't understand a lot of what he says, especially the longer sentences and phrases that he uses.  But we manage to get by most of the time. Recently he learned to say the word "water" instead of "wa-wa". Which is great and exciting, except he has since stopped using the right words for about 90% of things and instead calls EVERYTHING "water".  No matter what it is.  He just runs around all day saying "water water water" over and over.  Until Mommy is about to lose her mind (not a long journey, I know).   

I think this whole thing is part of his diabolical plan to make me crazy so that he can be in charge during the day and just watch endless episodes of Clifford the Big Red Dog, instead of doing those silly things that Mommy insists on doing, like napping, reading books and eating vegetables.  

****
Want to help save my sanity? Please, take a moment and drop by this site and vote for my blog!  

4 comments:

Mommyto3andahusky said...

You are winning! I think it is because I make everyone I know vote for you too! :) haha One day Ethan will say all kinds of words and you will say. WHO TAUGHT YOU THAT? haha Tell Daniel not to worry, I fall into the silly camp without the salt too! :)

Lindsay said...

I like salt on a tomato slice. But on watermelon???? Girlfriend, PLEASE!!

mona said...

Salt with watermelon is DELICIOUS. I will fight on this topic. I grew up on a tropical island where they put salt on fresh pineapple, so I don't think it's weird at all.

MaryAnne said...

Just discovered your blog via Life Starring Ellie and Eve. Good luck with baby #2 - sounds like your two will be the same distance as my first two (about 22 months).

I never heard of eating salt on watermelon, although I grew up eating salt on grapefruits which my husband think is strange...