Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Another check off the list of parenting must-dos

Ethan's still sick. Fighting vomiting, fever and diarrhea, not all at the same time, thank goodness, but in succession, with one coming on as soon as the other goes away.  We took him to the doctor this afternoon and were sent over to Children's Hospital to the ER to get him rehydrated.  That was a first for us, taking our son to the emergency room. Hopefully not something we'll repeat again in the future.  

Amusingly enough (hey, you have to find humor where you can in these things), the questions posed to us at the doctor's office and the ER both went something like this.  1) what's his name and what seems to be wrong today and 2) (said with a nervous look towards my abdomen) and when are you due?  Everyone seemed a little scared that I was going to give birth on the spot or something.  

Anyway, when we got to the ER, they informed us that they were going to try oral rehydration instead of IV. I guess that's what they prefer to do, since kids tend to not be such big fans of being stuck with needles.  So they gave him a Zofran tablet and gave us a bottle of Gatorade, and we got to give him increasingly larger amounts of the Gatorade over the span of 45 minutes.  When he kept it all down, they sent us home.  While we were at the ER, Ethan did manage to have several disgusting diapers, including one that leaked all over Daniel's pants. Poor Daniel, the guy is just exhausted these days. He did not need a lap full of grossness to top it all off.

So now we're just waiting and hoping that Ethan will rehydrate soon.  And hoping that New Baby stays put a while longer, because we are definitely in no shape to deal with a newborn right now.   

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm a several generation native of Seattle. I just had to check out your blog (and vote for you :) ) when I noticed your birthday good wishes for Angie Smith.

I read that you're very musical. I just happen to be playing the Oprah appearance of a 17 year old Philippine girl named Charice on youtube. She belts out a powerfully produced song "Note to God." Extremely dramatic.

Dianne Warren wrote the song and David Foster is the producer. BTW, multi-bizzillion Grammy winner David grew up in Victoria on the same street as one of my best friends. The families remain close. Interesting?

If you want to find Charice (David on piano, Oprah crying)...try

charice new album "note to God" video @oprah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr4ILBiBM1k

I will pray for all the best for you, resolution of "the plague" and a wonderful delivery of your new baby!

In Christ's love, Michal Ann
Lake Forest Park, WA

p.s. Did you see lightning strike the Space Needle??

p.p.s. I don't have a blog but if you want to say "hi," it's

immichal@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

p.s.s. I just found this site and copied the lyrics. It's also got the video. Blessings! Michal

http://www.magnustoday.com/2009/05/charice-pempengcos-note-to-god-video-and-lyrics/


If I wrote a note to God
I would speak what's in my soul
I’d ask for all the hate to be swept away,
For love to overflow
If I wrote a note to God
I’d pour my heart out on each page
I’d ask for war to end
For peace to mend this world
I’d say, I’d say, I’d say

Give us the strength to make it through
Help us find love cause love is overdue
And it seems like so much is goin' wrong
On this road we’re on

If I wrote a note to God
I’d say please help us find our way
End all the bitterness, put some tenderness in our hearts
And I’d say, I’d say, I’d say

Give us the strength to make it through
Help us find love cause love is overdue
And it looks like we haven’t got a clue
Need some help from you

Grant us the faith to carry on
Give us hope when it seems all hope is gone
Cause it seems like so much is goin' wrong
On this road we’re on

No, no no no
We can’t do this on our own
So

Give us the strength to make it through
Help us find love cause love is overdue
And it looks like we haven’t got a clue
Need some help from you

Grant us the faith to carry on
Give us hope when it seems all hope is gone
Cause it seems like so much is goin' wrong
On this road we’re on

If I wrote a note to God

Mommyto3andahusky said...

poor Ethan! I hope he gets better soon! :(

Lizzie said...

Oh Honey! That is so CRAP! I hope he's better, and therefore you're all better soon. PLEASE let me know if I can run to the store for you or anything. xoxo

maggie said...

I have yet to check that one off. Poor Ethan! Hope EVERYONE is doing better...

Karen said...

Aw, poor Ethan! I hope he starts to feel better soon. Glad you didn't give birth at the ER.

Unsolicited advice: If the diarrhea keeps up long after he's well try giving him Lactaid instead of milk for awhile.

Caryn B said...

I hope he feels better soon...my son had rotavirus for 2 weeks and it was the worst ever....and there was nothing the doctors could do. He lived on Boost.....

mona said...

Oh poor Ethan. I hope he gets better soon.

Burgh Baby said...

Yuck! I hope Ethan feels better soon. Sick sucks.

Eve said...

You have many transitions happening right now! And it's almost baby time! I'm so excited to see your little girl and hear about life with two!

Ashley said...

Ohhhhh I hope he gets better soon! That must have been pretty scary, taking your little guy in to the ER. I haven't had to do that yet!