Friday, March 27, 2009

Mental aging

I'm out in the real world again! Or rather, back at my office. But that's much more like the real world than the inside of my condo. I've pretty much spent the past week at home, working when I felt up to it, complaining about how miserable I felt the rest of the time, and listening to the pledge drive on the local NPR radio station. I am in awe of the people on that station and their ability to come up with new and interesting ways to motivate people to give. Sounds like they're raising pretty much what they need so far, so that's good!

Had an OB appointment this morning. Which my sweetie kindly drove me to and then stayed around and drove me to the office afterwards, so I didn't have to waddle downhill from the doctor to my office. He was less than impressed with the appointment- I think he'd given up on going with me by this point with Ethan, so he was unaware of the dullness of the early 3rd trimester appointments. Two weeks ago I had a blood draw and a rhogam shot though, so I was happy for a generic weight/heartbeat check.

So... tomorrow's my birthday! I have this funny habit of mentally aging myself a year once the calendar turns to January. Not sure why. So I've been thinking of myself as 32 for the past few months, and now I have to stop and calculate my actual age to figure out if I'm just turning 32 tomorrow or if I'm older than that. I'm turning 32 tomorrow, in case you care. I still find the whole "I'm in my 30s thing weird". Just like I still find the idea that I'm someone's (and soon to be two someones'!) mother totally unbelievable. I keep waiting to wake up and find out that I'm still just 15 and this was all a dream. That would be easier to grasp, I think.

Not a huge birthday planned for tomorrow. Brunch at our favorite restaurant in Belltown, then hitting another co-op sale to try to find some toys for Ethan that are actually interesting to him. And grocery shopping! I think there's a planned trip to Cupcake Royale to have coffee and pick up some cupcakes too. Daniel made a stupid statement about that planned outing, something like "we'll stop there and have coffee, but we dont need to eat a cupcake then because we'll want to have one at night." Like having a cupcake in the late morning/early afternoon and having one in the evening are in anyway mutually exclusive. Especially for someone who is celebrating her birthday AND is 30 weeks pregnant. Being married to a skinny person never ceases to confuse me. :)

6 comments:

Mommyto3andahusky said...

Hi, I found your blog through Kelly's korner just reading random blogs. I am due June 8th with our first baby girl and it seems we are in similar spots in our pregnancy, then I realized you had a son named Ethan! I do too! My Ethan is the blond boy in my blog and my other son is Kameron. :)
Good luck in your pregnancy and you have a cool blog! :) Erin
http://www.purplebookbloggingmommy.blogspot.com/

Future Mama said...

Happy birthday!!!

Nice meeting you! You have such a beautiful family! Too cute! I am a little late to the blog party but I like your blog! I’m still having a little "after party" at my place too!

I'm excited to read more of your journey, I'm having one of my own right now too and I think i could learn a thing or two from you :)

I'm not a mom yet myself but I'm thinking that may change one day soon! I'm trying to get the DL from moms on "the stuff they don't tell you beforehand!" haha.

Can't wait to pick your brain! And please feel free to share your advice or secrets anytime!

Lindsay said...

Happy late Birthday yo!

Brandi said...

Happy B-day...I think I am late but anyhow, happy bday!

It's funny I often think that I am going to wake up to find that I am married and have a baby a dream as well! It doesn't always seem like I should be old enough to have a baby and also to be married.

I had to laugh since I could totally relate! Anyhow, have a great day! Oh and just when are you due?

kindnessgirl.com said...

Happy Birthday Carrie! Hope this year holds more joy than you know what to do with!

Ashley said...

Happy birthday!!! I hope you had a really wonderful day!