Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It's going to be a miracle if I survive to be 32

And my 32nd birthday is all of 24 days away. Okay, everyone stop and write that on your calendar in big letters. "CARRIE'S 32nd BIRTHDAY." It's very important. :)

I've been mentally composing blog entries in my head for the last few days. I find it keeps me sane when life gets overly busy. If that's weird, don't tell me.

Anyway, Mom and Dad escaped from the great frozen East Coast on Monday and made it here fine in the evening. I don't really remember anything else about that day.

Then yesterday we woke up early, managed to get everyone in the condo up and fed and dressed, and headed for my perinatologist appointment.I took the whole family along. I was having another ultrasound that day, and figured my parents would like to come along and pretend like they knew what they were looking at on the screen. We all filed in the room, and the technician started doing the scan, only to realize pretty early on that she couldn't see my cervix properly because this baby will not move up off of the bottom of my uterus, where she has taken up residence. So a few other measurements were taken, and then I was informed that she was going to have to measure my cervix via the other ultrasound route, and that, when I returned from the bathroom, I would need to undress from the waist down.

Not really a situation you want to be in with your parents sitting next to you. We're a very proper and private family, so this was weird beyond belief. Anyway, I came back and got under the sheet and they came back in, and the technician did the rest of the abdominal ultrasound (while I'm lying there trying to keep the sheet in place) before sending my parents and Ethan out of the room while she did the measurement of my cervix. Thank goodness. It was all still weird though.

Baby is looking pretty good and the fluid levels are fine, but she's starting to drop off size-wise. So I'm going to have another ultrasound in another couple of weeks. The other fun thing about yesterday was that Daniel and Ethan and I got to see the OB who did my high-risk care over at the old hospital when I was pregnant with Ethan, and who was present at his c-section. I think the last time she saw me I was vomiting from the effects of the anesthesia, post-c-section. Hopefully yesterday will be a better memory for her. :)

The rest of the day was busy with errands and cooking and doing all the stuff that hadn't gotten done this weekend. So I was tired by the end of the day, but hanging in there. Then my dad called his mom. Now, the plans had been for Dad and Mom to see my grandmother during the day, while I was at work. Then, as Dad talked on the phone, we heard him say "of course, we want to see you, but I'd love to see everyone else as well." So now, in addition to their lunch plans, we have a family dinner tonight (with people Ethan and I see fairly often, since they live here in Seattle).

The dinner will be fine, I'm sure, but we're leaving to head up there as soon as I get home from work, and I know I'm going to have to drag my dad away when Ethan's bedtime is approaching. Oh, and then come home and pack, because tomorrow we're driving to Portland (3+ hours away) for a lunch with my other grandmother and her twin sister and her sister's daughters and my uncle, before I go downtown for the work appointment that I have in the afternoon. And that's just today and tomorrow. We have plans to see people from another part of Dad's family on the weekend, after we return from our trip to Portland.

It's all fine, these are good things to do, and it's nice to catch up with family, but I feel like I'm constantly having to fight for downtime for me and for Ethan, and I'm getting tired of being the spoilsport about everything. Hopefully Ethan will get some rest today in between the lunch with my grandmother and the family dinner tonight. I plan to enjoy the silence and solitude of my office as much as is humanly possible!

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

Oh my goodness! I can't imagine having the stamina necessary for all of that and I'm NOT pregnant. Be sure to get some rest, girl!

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...

I can't imagine going through that experience with my parents, but I'll bet they really appreciated the chance to see the baby!