Monday, March 16, 2009

Ethan

I haven't written that much about Ethan lately- which is a shame, because he is turning into quite the interesting little person. He's 19 months old now, and spends most of his time chasing our cats around the condo while shrieking with joy at the top of his lungs. His alternate activities are 1) making me read the alphabet book over, and over, and over, or 2) trying to get me to give him his paci and his stuffed animals out of his crib. He has learned to say no, but doesn't say the word as much as shake his head and wave his arms wildly in front of his face. It's pretty funny.

I have to admit, I am definitely far more of a toddler person than a baby person. It's fun to be hanging out with a little person who can actually interact and respond. Ethan's always been cute, and I've always thought all the little things he did were amazing, but now I get a daily glimpse of him as an actual person. Someone with opinions (lots) and feelings and likes/dislikes (again, lots!). He drives me crazy some days, but I miss him so much when I'm away.

There's definitely a lot more that's humbling/scary about parenting a toddler than an infant. I mean, I know that the things I do affect him, and that he is influenced by what he hears and sees, but it's hard to understand that until your own behaviors and personalities start getting mirrored back to you by someone who is 2.5 feet tall. Unfortunately, he appears to have inherited my utter lack of patience and "if I cant figure it out immediately I just am not going to do it at all" attitude. Fortunately, he generally has his Daddy's good nature and social skills, so hopefully that'll balance things out.

It's also been an interesting glimpse into my relationship with God, and my attitudes of "I want it now, and you're so mean for not giving me exactly what I want!" I think I've prayed for forgiveness for those past actions more in the last few months than ever before. Being on the other end of wanting something that isn't best is very educational.










It's still mind-boggling that I'm going to have two of them in the near future. We were at Babies R Us this weekend, looking at portable cribs. And Ethan was loving the place- constantly darting off to look at something new on every aisle. I think it wore Daniel out keeping up with him. Which again brought up the "how am I ever going to leave the house with a newborn and a toddler who hasn't quite caught on to the idea of staying close to Mommy and not running off". I know I'll figure it out eventually, but I definitely have no idea right now!

We have another ultrasound tomorrow- #7 for this baby. She's definitely well photographed! Hopefully her growth will be doing okay and she wont have dropped off anymore. I've certainly been feeding her enough lately- hopefully that will help!





3 comments:

Lizzie said...

Look how cute you are! We should get together again soon so I can see Ethan for myself! :D Ps - my word verification is bible. You think that's a sign of some sort?

Jen said...

You are such a cute momma!! Isn't it fantastic now that he is becoming his own little person? I love that DS is so vocal and on the move. Such a fun age except for no, mine and tantrums but the good outweighs the bad!!

The Queen said...

You're blog is so cute! I tried to subscribe but didn't see a button anywhere? :)