Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Is anyone out there NOT sick?

Seems like everyone whose blog I read or who updates their Facebook status or who is my friend in real life, well, you're all fighting a bug of some sort.  It seemed like so much fun, so we decided to join you. :)  Ethan started throwing up last night at about 12:30- why does vomiting ALWAYS start in the middle of the night when Mommy and Daddy are soundly sleeping?  I was not surprised, since a bunch of our church friends had been sick with stomach bugs of various sorts, and something is always going around daycare as well.  I've spent the last 12 hours doing laundry and occasionally checking to see if Ethan can keep anything like applesauce or crackers down. The answer to that is no, by the way.

It's been kind of an interesting morning- yesterday I was slow at work, so sent out an email early in the morning and promptly heard back from three people, all with work that needed to be done this week.  None of the tasks were huge, so I said I could balance them all. Well, one quickly turned into something totally out of my scientific range of knowledge, but I thought I could still do part of it. And I was going to work on it today, but then Ethan got sick. And I had to stop myself and realize that my primary job is to be Ethan's mommy, especially when he's feeling sick and needs me.  So I emailed the project manager and gave back all the work and apologized profusely. And immediately felt about 1 million times better. Seems like the older Ethan gets, the harder it's getting to balance work and mommyhood. I know a lot of people that do it well, but I think my obsessive-don't stop until it's 100% done and done well-personality makes it particularly challenging for me to focus on both mommyhood and my job.  

So, here I am, listening to the sounds of the washing machine and dryer running at full speed, hoping for the germs to leave us alone soon, because we have a very, very busy next two weeks planned and cannot have illnesses lingering.  Tomorrow is our 3rd wedding anniversary, and Friday we're heading up to Vancouver to hand Ethan over to his grandparents and spend Saturday night in a hotel in downtown Vancouver. Then we come home Sunday and my parents show up for a 9 day visit on Monday! During which time we're heading down to Portland for 3 days to see my grandmother. So things are too busy to schedule in much more vomiting! Sickness begone! 

No comments: