Thursday, January 29, 2009

What I realized today

I am NEVER going to be able to leave the house again after this new baby is born.  And probably not for the last few months before she's born. Because my nice toddler insists on descending into madness whenever we leave the house together.  He still likes being out, but he also seems to have a sense for how to drive Mommy most insane in public.

Scene 1: We're at Trader Joe's this morning, trying to get some groceries before we head to storytime at the library.  Ethan is happily sitting in the cart, taking off his shoes each time I turn around.  His brand new shoes that cost more than I've ever paid for a pair of shoes for myself! After several attempts at getting him to keep his shoes on, I give up and he goes barefoot in the store.  Not so bad, I know.  Just typical toddler behavior. But how do I keep up with this if I have another one in tow as well?

Scene 2: This is a good one.  We're at the library. I'm trying to check out a bunch of books. So in one hand I have a pile of books, over my arm is the book bag and my diaper bag, I'm trying to somehow get my pants to stop falling down, because my belly band is just not holding my jeans up anymore, and Ethan is standing next to me on the other side. I spend several minutes trying to convince him to just stand up for one minute, but he decides to do his wet noodle imitation and flops over on the floor. Crying of course, because Mommy is so mean to expect him to do something as strenuous as stand for 30 seconds while holding on to her coat.  Again, I know this is normal, but where am I supposed to fit the infant carrier into this picture? 

We use the stroller as much as possible when we're out, but at the grocery store and library, that's not an option.

In a few months he'll be better at walking, but he'll also probably be at the running quickly stage and will need to be held on to!  How do I juggle two of them? I know people do it all the time, right? My life is not going to be over just because I have two kids under the age of two. RIGHT??? RIGHT???

All I can say is that kid had BETTER not wake up early from his nap this afternoon. Mommy needs a little break.  And a drink, but that's still 5 months away.  :)

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I feel the EXACT same way! I have no earthly idea how I'm going to handle going anywhere ever again after I have the new baby. Especially because Kirsten has been difficult in stores lately too, and threw a tantrum in her stroller at Target the other day for NO reason at all! What are we going to do???

Erin said...

Now, please don't think that this is advice because I wouldn't expect you to do this with a kid Ethan's age, but when Emily (age 3.5) takes her shoes off in public, they get taken away until we get to the car. It is more than a little cold and snowy here and it has only taken 3 episodes of missing shoes to cement the "We don't take our shoes off in public" rule firmly in place.

As for what you are going to do with 2 kids, well, you cope. I recommend parking as close to a cart return place as possible. Baby, in carseat, goes in the front part of the cart. Ethan goes in the cart part of the cart. If he's very very good he can walk. If not, he goes back in the cart.

It's a challenge, to be sure, but it's also incredibly rewarding and fun to have kids close in age.