Tuesday, January 27, 2009

We're now calling this the month of doom

I'm not going to recap the stuff that's been going on here lately. You probably have read my posts and are up to date.  Anyway, we were all excited this weekend, because I was off bed rest and Ethan was feeling better and Daniel was feeling better and I was only coughing for 12 out of the 24 hours of the day.  We had high hopes for this week.  No doctor's appointments, no drama. That was the goal.

We should have known better.

Daniel got an email yesterday from his brother- Daniel's uncle and aunt were out walking yesterday near their home in suburban Toronto when a speeding car hit his uncle.  Uncle is now in ICU on life support.  It doesn't look good.  My heart hurts for Aunt and for their kids and grandkids. And for Daniel's parents, since they are all very close, traveling together several times a year and making visits fairly frequently.  Daniel's just waiting for the phone call now, then we'll book him a flight to Toronto to go be with the family.  Ethan and I are not going to go along, because it'll be easier for Daniel to go alone and easier for the family to find a space for just him and not have to deal with a toddler on top of things. 

This reminds me of 10 years ago, I had just graduated from college and was living with my parents in their home in Ohio. On one day I got my last two rejection letters from grad school, our cat (who we'd had since I was 8) died of FIP (which is awful), and my dad lost his job. In ONE day.  I told my parents in email this morning that I am starting to think I must be on a 10 year cycle for bad news and challenging times. I guess there's something to be said for getting it all out of the way.

We're just being grateful for the knowledge that God's in control right now. We're too worn out to do anything but wait and trust and pray.  

5 comments:

Lizzie said...

Good thing you armed yourself with good thoughts during that conference. Little did you know how soon/strongly you'd need them. So sorry to hear about Uncle. Love to your family.

Lindsay said...

I am so sorry.
I wish you and your family the strength to face life day by day during this trying time.

Laura said...

Hi, Carrie! Thanks for visiting my blog and entering my give away! I'm sorry to hear about your husband's uncle and I hope that he makes a full recovery!

JenReg said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this...what an awful thing to happen. My thoughts and prayers are with your family and your poor aunt.

Take care.

mandjregan[at]gmail.com
http://eightymphmom.blogspot.com/

Jen said...

I am so saorry abut Daniel's uncle. I will pray that this turn around and he gets better.