Monday, January 5, 2009

Ultrasound scheduled!!!

The "big" ultrasound is scheduled- Thursday morning at 7:15! I'm loving the new hospital/practice that I'm at for the flexibility of scheduling, if nothing else. It's really nice to be able to get in for the ultrasound so early, since it means Daniel can come along with me and not even have to miss any work.  He doesn't attend doctor's appointments, but does tag along for the scans, usually.  So, hopefully we'll have an answer on gender very soon! 

We had a fairly busy, but still fairly relaxing weekend here. Ran errands, cleaned, washed and vacuumed the car- all the things that haven't been getting done around here. And we finally made it to church on Sunday. It was great to be there and to be able to worship in a group and hear a good sermon.  Missing so many weeks of church did nothing for my attention span though, so I was struggling to focus by about halfway through the sermon. But it was good, and I'm glad I managed to hear most of it. 

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately as I've been reading a book by Elizabeth George called "A Woman After God's Own Heart." It's well written and very practical, and has a lot of things in it that are specific to moms.  I've struggled with motherhood this past 17 months, particularly with the mundane tasks and the endless repetitive nature of it all. The book has reminded me that I need to do those things and take care of my family as an act of service to God, an act to which I have been called and that should be a blessing to me and those around me.  It's a hard mental shift for a goal-oriented, very busy, on-the-go woman like me.  And I think it's going to get harder after this second baby, particularly if I do not return to work. By working part-time, I've still clung to that aspect of my identity- I still have something to say other than "mom" when someone asks me what I do.  So this is definitely a book that speaks to me. 

Anyway, I'm working from home today, but have lots to do, so should get back to it.  Hope you all have a great Monday!

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I'm right there with you, learning what the calling to be a parent means. I recently read an article on domestic life as monastic life - http://www.lifeissues.net/writers/ron/ron_14domesticmonastery.html - I thought it was kind of interesting.