Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thoughts on today

Is anyone NOT blogging about the inauguration today?  Thought I would jump on the bandwagon. 

It was kind of strange just now, looking out my window at the normally busy city street. During the 30 minutes or so leading up to the oath of office and President Obama's speech, there was hardly a car going by, not a person walking down the sidewalk. It was totally and eerily silent, as everyone was somewhere close to a TV or computer, watching what was going on. I've never seen anything like that before. 

Daniel watched as much of the proceedings with us as he could, then he had to go to work. Ethan and I saw the oath and the speech. Ethan was less than appreciative of the historical significance of the situation, and so spent his time tearing up the cats' purr pad. But I can tell him someday that he watched it.

I did not vote for President Obama. But as an American, I am hopeful that he will be able to do what he dreams of doing and that our country can pull out of the tailspin that we're in.  I will pray for him and for God to guide him as he leads our country.  

But I think that the real significance of today's events is beyond just the whole "hoping for a change" thing for me.  Even though I'm a white, middle-class, relatively privileged woman, I'm also the wife of an immigrant and the mother of a mixed-race child. And so it's emotional to see a man with that background sworn in to lead this great country. Ethan's growing up in a different world than I grew up in or than his daddy grew up in, but I hope it's going to be a good one, full of many possibilities for him and his sister, and everyone else, regardless of their skin color or background.

God bless and God help our country. 

PS- I think Blogger needs to fix it so that "Obama" doesn't come up as a spelling error on the spellcheck :)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I didn't blog about it. I'm also guilty of not watching it. :) I have never watched any other Inaugeration either though. I'm just not very political! But I do vote.