Thursday, January 15, 2009

Not really what I was thinking about when I was wishing to leave the condo

Early last week, Ethan had a stomach bug. Nothing too bad, just a little out of sorts and a few episodes of projectile vomiting.  Apparently it was going around daycare or something. I was so glad to not catch the bug. SO glad. 

Fast forward a week. I spent last night feeling a little ill, and by midnight was up every hour or so losing fluids in various fashions.  Pretty much all of the fluids that I have been working so hard to get into my body for the past week. Because, remember, my ENTIRE purpose in life right now is to sit around, gestate and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  I am not one to call the doctor unless I am on the verge of death, but I realized around 6 AM that this was not a good thing, and called the office.  Sat around all morning feeling glad to be on bed rest and not expected to do anything, since I was not capable of it. Fortunately Daniel was taking the morning off today, so was home.

My doctor's office called back at 11 with the command to go straight to the ER at the hospital for IV fluids.  Which I did.  Do you know how much the ER fears pregnant women who are out of the first trimester? I was asked repeatedly if I should be there or up at L&D. I informed them that I was told to go to the ER.  Finally they managed to convince someone in L&D to let me come up for treatment there. Where I recited my tale of woe and vomit to several nurses and a doctor, and was finally given my IV with fluids and anti-nausea medication. 4 hours later we were free, back home and back on the couch. 

I have to say though, the hospital was great. We were seen by an ER triage nurse within about 2 minutes of walking in, taken promptly to L&D, and treated there quickly as well. Things did slow down at the end, when I was under control and they had actual women in labor to deal with. But that's understandable.

Several nurses did look confused at me being treated up in L&D, given that I still look not at all pregnant. 20 weeks along now, still wearing my normal jeans, still buttoned up. Yeah, not convincing as a pregnant woman.  

Baby's heartbeat sounded good though, and she's been moving around a bit  more, so that's reassuring.

In other news, I finally have my perinatal appointment set up, but it's not for over 2 weeks. I am secretly glad, as the last thing I really want is to go to the doctor again.  And I'm going to talk to my HR person tomorrow about what I'm planning to do (I have no idea what I'm planning to do), since I only have 2 weeks of vacation time right now, and I don't actually have any work to do from home, so am having to use it, unless a project comes back. So Daniel and I are trying to figure out all the pros and cons of me going on leave early/trying to keep working/whether we can pay for daycare out of savings for a few months, etc.

So that's my day. I'm tired now and have big plans to lie on the couch and watch TV tonight. Thank goodness it's Thursday and there are great shows on! Hurray!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I hope you guys are all feeling better! That flu bug sure is going around. . . my husband has been home sick with it for the past couple of days. I am hoping and HOPING that I don't get it but especially that Kirsten doesn't get it!

The Tacheny's said...

Hang in there Carrie - we had that flu here too but I'm not preggers! You get some REST!