Monday, December 15, 2008

On hold with the doctor's office

That seems to be the major use of my time lately. Either on hold with the office, dropping something off at the office, or waiting for an appointment. And I'm only 15ish weeks pregnant. I forgot what a time-suck pregnancy could be.

Anyway, I got a call from my doctor an hour or so ago, but it came in while I was in the bathroom (HUGE surprise there), so I missed the call. Apparently my labwork looks fine, so that's good. But she's concerned about the medication I'm taking right now, and wants to discuss switching me to something else.

So here's the thing. This is not an ideal medication to be on while pregnant. It doesn't cause birth defects or anything like that, but it does cause fetal growth issues. For that, I present to you exhibit A, my 5 pound, 15 ounce full-term kid, who has just now clawed himself onto the growth charts at 16 months old. So yeah, I know that. BUT, this medication controls my blood pressure and heartrate in a fabulous manner. I love this medication, and have not done well on any others that I've been on. And if my BP gets out of control, then that also can affect the baby's growth as well as put me at risk.

At the old hospital, they were pretty much the world experts in this particular medication, so I was monitored very carefully and so was the baby. Unfortunately, at this hospital, that isn't the case, so they are more conservative with the use of the medication. And I trust them at this new office and all, but given that I do reproductive/developmental toxicology for a living, I feel a certain amount of responsibility in making the right, most informed decision about medication usage.

Seriously, I want to print out all of these posts for all the people at church who seem confused that we are not, in fact, having another baby so soon so that we can join the club of people with 4+ kids. You have no idea how many times I've been asked that. And we're non-denominational Christians, so it's not like it's a denomination that's known for huge families.

In other news, on my weight watchers board, someone posted a recipe for something called cake balls. They sound like a little piece of heaven, so I plan to head directly to the grocery store after work and get the supplies to make some. I love that I get my best dessert recipes from my weight loss board. :)

2 comments:

Ashley said...

It definitely is a time-sucker! I just found out I have to somehow schedule the time to go get another ultrasound because they missed out on getting one picture. And they wanted me to get it done before Christmas! Fat chance of that, since I'm going out of town this Thursday and it's snowy all week!

Midwest Mommy said...

Oh I don't miss those pregnancy appointments. I felt like I lived there only to wait there.