Monday, December 1, 2008

Oh my goodness, he understands us

We knew this day was coming. We keep saying that we have to start watching what we say in front of Ethan, because he soon will be parroting things back when we least expect it. But, given that he doesn't really talk, we were kind of in denial. Last night we were sitting on the couch, watching Northern Exposure, Season 1 on DVD. Ethan kept sitting and watching it, so we turned it off and jokingly said, "Ethan, go get a book from the pile and bring it over here and we'll read it to you." And he turned around, crawled (seriously, learn to walk already!!!) off to the pile of books, grabbed one and dragged it back to the couch. Wow. There really is a smart little person in there!

Back at work now, after a fairly long hiatus. I worked Monday in the office and a half-day Wednesday at home. It feels like I've been gone for a month. Unfortunately, still out of work, which made returning this morning even worse. But I'm scrounging things up to do.

On the kitchen floor front, we went to Home Depot last night. Where I kept pointing out to Daniel that we already have the flooring that costs $3/sq ft and we're planning to replace it with something that is much cheaper than that. But he has his heart set on laminate floors, so we're pressing on. The main problem is that we have really light wood cabinets and the closet doors and trim in the entry way and living room all match, and the kitchen/living room are one big room, so the whole thing needs to flow. So we need to find a floor color that's going to look good with all that wood. Kitchen counters (which I actually do want to change) are also being discussed. But we're kind of in a bit of a financial bind, as we have two vacancies in our rental properties, and I'm going to be out of work for at least 6 months, starting sometime in the middle of May, so if this ends up being expensive, it's just not going to happen.

I'll post pictures of my craft from Saturday when I get home tonight. It turned out amazingly well. And I had a lovely morning of running errands alone, followed by a lovely afternoon with friends, and came home to a condo with all the Christmas lights up and decorations put out, which was sweet. So that was a good day.

Unfortunately, we ended the weekend with a small spat last night because I tend to take out my stress over money/where we're going to live/planning for the next year on the handiest target, which is pretty much always Daniel. I need to stop doing that. He deserves better. Poor guy. I cant imagine how much he's looking forward to the day when I'm no longer pregnant/nursing/dealing with masses of hormones. Which I've been doing for most of our not-even-3-year marriage. He qualifies for sainthood at this point, I'm pretty sure.

2 comments:

carrie said...

I love home improvement projects, even if it stresses me out - I'm sure your floors will turn out lovely!

And those spats? We all have them from time to time, we're human, after all! :)

Ashley said...

It's so fun when they start understanding things you say! Kirsten knows when we're going upstairs or when it's time to go. It's great!