Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Christmas saga, part one

First off, I'd like to start by saying, I blame the snow. For many reasons. I dare you to disagree with me. 

So, I was lying in bed tonight. Poking Daniel in the side and annoying him by telling him that I can't sleep. Even though I had spent the whole evening telling him how tired I was. Whatever, I'm pregnant, it's my prerogative.  Anyhoo, after a while, I started freaking out about the fact that my in-laws are coming on Thursday, and other than turkey, I have no food in the house that they eat. They were supposed to be bringing some food with them (not my idea, but if it makes them happy, great).  But now they're coming by Greyhound, since my brother-in-law doesn't want to drive in the bad weather (blame the snow #1).  So they can't bring food. And I have absolutely nothing resembling any of the foods that we ever eat at their home, and I have never seen any of the foods in my cupboards at their home.  I only have white people food, and not that much of it! They're going to discover my sad little supply of white rice and realize that I don't feed their son rice more than once every two weeks! (Pretty close to abuse in a Chinese household)

Okay, so lying there freaking out. Wondering how I can get food to magically appear in my house, since it's supposed to snow again tomorrow and I'm not pushing the stroller in the snow and slush again (blame the snow #2).  I was particularly worried about what they will eat on Friday, when Daniel and I go to work and they're left alone with Ethan. Daniel said that they can just eat turkey all day. Then he mentioned that he had poked the turkey today and it seemed to be defrosting well.

Which is when I had the awful realization that I had not done anything with the turkey after we bought it on Saturday, except stick it straight into the fridge in the Safeway bag.  Because we had a ton of groceries and stuff because it was our last post-snow shopping trip (#3!!) Starting to worry a little at the mention of the defrosting turkey and the thought of its plateless/panless status, I got out of bed and went into the kitchen to put the turkey and bag into the disposable roasting pan that I had bought as well on Saturday.  Opened the fridge, shifted the food sitting next to the turkey on the bottom shelf... and was met with the sight of a sea of pink turkey juice.

Fortunately, most of the stuff on the bottom shelf was in sealed bags or cans and we only had to throw out a few things.  And now I have a clean, disinfected bottom shelf of the fridge! I need to be sure to point that out to my mother-in-law. Without telling her why, of course.

So, that's the first part of the Christmas saga. And it's not even Christmas Eve yet, which is why I have entitled it "part one". I assure you, more drama will be forthcoming. Because it's supposed to snow again tonight. 

7 comments:

maggie said...

This made me laugh. I NEVER make rice- I just don't think of it! Phillip makes his own Asian food around here and I'm sure his folks have things to say about it when I'm not around.

Elizabeth said...

a puddle of pink turkey juice would have made me barf for hours when I was pregnant. Look at you go!

AZMom said...

I hope everything goes off without a hitch! I had to LOL at the rice comment. If it is considered abuse for Chinese kids (and adults) not to have rice once or twice a week, I am in big trouble. :-)

Merry Christmas!

Morgan S. said...

I found you through the comments on Liz's blog. I am going through the same thing here. My office was closed today but HOLY THANK YOU JESUS daycare was open and so was my husband's office. I had not left the house since 4:00 p.m. Friday and I walked for over an hour in the snow to get my self to target today so that there would be more in the stockings than string cheese and baby food jars!

Ashley said...

Ohhh I hope everything goes really well!!! Have a Merry Christmas!!!

Lindsay said...

Best of luck Carrie. I get stressed about hosting and in laws etcetera as well. Merry Christmas regardless!

Lindsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.