Saturday, December 27, 2008

MISTLETOE!!! MISTLETOE!!! Christmas Saga part 3

Lindsay, over at Spacebooke, wrote a blog entry about the holidays, and said that she and her husband have introduced an idea from the movie "Four Christmases".  It's a code word thing, to use when family activities have just gotten to be too much.  And in this case, the code word is "mistletoe".  

I probably will remove these posts later, but if I don't blog now, I'm going to take the car and leave. Seriously. I'm losing it.  Currently hiding in Ethan's room with the laptop and crying.  The important thing to remember here is that I'm 4 months pregnant and totally irrational and emotionally unstable.  So am not handling things well.

1) No, I do not want to eat congee for dinner. Or any other meal. Yes, I know it's just porridge, but I don't like porridge even without the meat in it.  And no, I don't want fried rice, thanks, but it doesn't sit well with my pregnant stomach. No, thanks, I don't want fried rice. Really.  Really I don't.

2) Target is my happy place. When we are there, please do not follow me around muttering "so expensive" under  your breath.  I know that things are cheaper in Canada and the exchange rate makes things even cheaper there. If that's true, why do I have to go to all these stores looking for Ensure and Caltrate vitamins for you if they're too expensive to buy.  And no, I don't remember how much I paid for eggs last time. I'm sure you can get them cheaper. I don't know because I rarely buy eggs and when I do they're fancy eggs and not the cheap ones. And I'm pregnant and sharing a room with a toddler, my husband and two cats, so am not getting enough sleep and my memory is shot.  I DON'T KNOW!!! Oh, and in my culture, we do not discuss the price of everything INCESSANTLY.

3) This morning when we were getting ready to leave, I had Ethan dressed in a long sleeved shirt and long pants and shoes and socks. And a coat and mittens and a hat under his hood.  Daniel said that Ethan needed a sweater as well, because his mom thought Ethan was cold. It's 45 degrees out today, and Ethan runs warm (he's usually sweaty), so he had on plenty of clothes. I said that Ethan did not need extra clothes and Daniel just shock his head and said, okay, but my mom thinks he's cold. !!!!! Who's side are you on here? 

4) This pushed me over the edge and caused this crying.  Okay, so after the turkey was eaten on Christmas, I asked Daniel if he would like homemade turkey soup. He excitedly said yes, so I spent 30 minutes researching recipes online, trying to find the one that look best. We then spent another 15+ minutes packing up the carcass and picking out the best bones for the soup, which I was going to make as soon as I could get to the store and buy noodles and veggies.  
Today we were out shopping, and I mentioned that we needed to buy milk for Ethan and that I still needed the veggies for the soup too. Which is when Daniel said "oh, yeah, my mom used the carcass and all the bones to make the congee yesterday."  Seriously, I'm still having trouble not crying about it.  It seems like nothing, but I was looking forward to being domestic for once and making something special for Daniel, since he was excited about it. 

Then my mom emailed and said that their trip in March is going to be 9 days, rather than 6.  I don't think I can do it.  So now I need to find a way to get them to go stay with relatives instead of here, because at that point I'm going to be 6.5 months pregnant and I don't know if there's any way that's going to work for us to sleep in Ethan's room by then.  




3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Awww, stay strong Carrie. I am sorry about EVERYTHING. Good posts though I must say.

maggie said...

If it makes you feel any better, congee totally grosses me out. And instructions in Chinese (was that a previous post?) would drive me BATTY. Yeah, it's irrational, but STILL. BATTY.

mary said...

hugs again!!!! and i'm jealous b/c at least you can blog about the visitors. They read my blog...alas I can only vent on WW boards.

They didn't even stay with us but it didn't go well.