Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Glimpses

A glimpse into my "intelligence" this morning at work:
My co-worker: So, I think the info is in the "blah-blah" file. Why don't you take a look at that.
Me: Sure, I'll do that.
Me (about 10 seconds later): Wait, what was I looking for?
Her: The "blah-blah" file. You can use that to start drafting the report.
Me: Oh, okay.
Me (again, about 10 seconds later): And we're writing a report on.... what?

She doesn't know I'm pregnant, so probably just thinks I'm drinking at 7 AM at the office or something. I cannot seem to shake the cobwebs from my brain this morning and wake up. Ugh.

A glimpse into the bigger picture:
There are SO many things in life that I do not even begin to understand. And there are a lot of times when God lets us go through a trial that doesn't make sense to me at the time or even months and years down the road. But occasionally, we do get a chance to see a little bit of the reason behind things and understand that He does have reasons for things.

As I think most of you know, Daniel had worked at the same company for 8 years, and by this spring, he was hating it. He came home from work most days very sad and a little depressed, which is totally unlike him. So in April when he got a new job, he was really excited. It was in downtown Seattle, he liked the office, the job and the people. And then he got laid off in June, and we were sad. Thankfully, he got a new job before the severance ran out, and now has a job he likes even more, although the commute is significantly longer.

Yesterday he got an email from his boss at the job that laid him off. The parent company had merged with another company, and the smaller company where he worked was being shut down. All except for a few employees were laid off immediately.

Last night when Daniel came home, we couldn't help talking about what a blessing it was that he got laid off back in June. We couldn't imagine how scary it would be to be facing a layoff in today's job market and economy, with a new baby on the way and with me about to rack up another $40,000 in medical bills (which insurance will hopefully cover again!) for a high-risk pregnancy.

This is one of those things that I want to remember for when I am facing the next trial and don't get a glimpse into why God does things. Hopefully it'll help me remember that He is in control, even when I don't grasp the reasons.

1 comment:

The Tacheny's said...

What a beautiful reminder to trust God through everything!