Thursday, August 14, 2008

Watching the Olympics on Canadian TV

We're a week into the Olympics now, and the Canadians have won exactly zero medals. This is leading to some really sad commentary on Canadian TV. My husband is Canadian, which means my son is also Canadian, so I spend a lot of time trying to figure out Canadian thinking. And watching Canadian coverage of the Olympics has given me an interesting perspective on things. The Canadians are great athletes in a lot of sports. And they are trying so very hard. And getting their little Canadian butts kicked all the time. But they are not upset, that I can tell. The interviewees keep talking about getting 15th place in the gymnastics or being the 18th fastest world swimmer or having the eighth best score in an event for a Canadian.

I think that this is a good attitude. They're probably never going to take over the world or anything like that. They just don't have the ego. But they have "stick-to-it-ivness", that strange ability to keep going and try for your very best, even when you know you wont win. This is an attitude that I wish I had, and I hope my son grows up with, along with his Canadian passport. Just do your best and try your hardest, even if you don't have a chance to win. Just give it your all.

PS- but seriously. Please, can Canada just win a medal already?

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Canada seems to earn more medals during the winter Olympics. But seriously, we traveled in Canada in June and met some of the sweetest and most generous people ever. They represented their country well; I wanted to move there!

Erin said...

I was going to say the same thing: Canada is kind of a winter-y place, so maybe the lack of summer medals is due to that. But I was surprised to hear that Canada hasn't won anything yet. Usually the no-medal-yet countries are the smaller ones... C'mon Canada! Let's kick it into gear!