Saturday, August 30, 2008

i just have to blog about this

Still in the midst of the parent visit here, still very busy and very tired from all the socializing, but there were two thing that happened today that I just HAD to blog about.

1) this one is just weird to me still. So, my friend generously gave us tickets to the Museum of Flight, so this morning we loaded up the car and headed down south. I like planes. My grandmother and grandfather both flew planes (we totally ignore the fact that my grandfather died in an airshow in our family, in terms of our love of flying). I have been to pretty much every airplane museum on both coasts. And this was my umpteenth trip to this Museum, so, although I think it's the best EVER, I was a little bored. As was Mom. And we had lost our husbands to the VERY EXCITING SPACE EXHIBIT!!!, so we wandered off, with Ethan in his stroller. And found a "make your own pin-on button craft area". So Mom decided to make a button for Ethan. She finished drawing it, and we went up to have it put into the button. A very nice volunteer took her drawing and started to make the button. And this is where things got weird.

Him: "Oh, what a cute little boy" (looking at Ethan)
Me: Thanks.
Him: "How old is he?"
Me: "he just had his first birthday a few weeks ago"
Him: "How long have you had him?"
Me: confused silence for a minute. "um...since birth. He's mine"

He thought Ethan was adopted. Now, I barely even see that Ethan looks Asian. Most people say that he looks just like me, but with slightly darker skin and slightly Asian eyes. The only people who have ever asked about his ethnic background have been adults who were themselves of mixed race backgrounds. I expected this if I had a girl who looked more Chinese, but it totally caught me off guard in this situation, with this not-particularly Asian child.
Inserting a picture for your opinion:














2) I got my first check from BlogHer!!! THANK YOU!!! to those of you who read my blog. I blog 99% for my own sanity, but it felt so good to get a check in the mail today and know that I had been paid for my thoughts and my time. Thank you, thank you, thank you, to those of you who read. Please, let me know who you are, so I can link your blogs here. And to those of you here in Seattle who read, especially those whom I haven't managed to meet yet at a Seattle Mom Blog event (I'm talking to you, Maggie, Liz, and Ashley), thanks for your time. you're all great!
Daniel and I are off to a fancy hotel in downtown Seattle tomorrow. After church and lunch with the family, we run off and leave the baby with his adoring grandparents and go have fancy meals out and enjoy the theatre. And sleep for 12 whole hours, hopefully! I'll report back on Wednesday. I hope you all have a great Labor Day!

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

So the whole "is he adopted" thing, does it make you laugh or make you mad? That particular situation seems kind of comical. It seems like that volunteer would have felt pretty stupid - he probably ran home and blogged about his embarrassment! Haha.

BJ said...

He actually looks quite asian to me, but not nearly as asian as Jon & Kate's kids....and Jon is only 1/2 Korean, isn't he? Anyway, I think he's darn cute, and I understand why the confusion if Daniel wasn't with you. I guess it shows that most people are used to the idea of Chinese adoptions now. So, though it might be irritating for you, it's sort of a good thing for society in general.

Carrie said...

I'm more amused by the whole thing than anything else. Here in Seattle there are a ton of people of various mixed ethnic backgrounds, so generally people guess that Ethan is mixed, if they notice that he looks Asian at all. I've had a few people ask me what his dad's ethnic background is before, so I'm used to that. But the whole "adopted" thing caught me offguard, and made me laugh!

Carrie said...

I'm more amused by the whole thing than anything else. Here in Seattle there are a ton of people of various mixed ethnic backgrounds, so generally people guess that Ethan is mixed, if they notice that he looks Asian at all. I've had a few people ask me what his dad's ethnic background is before, so I'm used to that. But the whole "adopted" thing caught me offguard, and made me laugh!