Wednesday, June 4, 2008

This is about as deep as my political thoughts get

I still don't know who I'm going to vote for in November. I'm a registered Republican (one of about three in the city of Seattle, seriously), but I don't know if that's the way to go this year. I need to do a bunch of reading and research before then. Or I'll just ask Daniel, since he actually does spend a lot of time reading and watching political news, and he's Canadian, so he has no vote of his own. I'll do one or the other of those things.

I have to say that I am excited by this election for one main reason right now. There's been so much talk about Mr. Obama being the first black man nominated for president. I see the tears in the eyes of women and men who grew up before Civil Rights and who suffered so much just because of the color of their skin. And I'm happy for them- I know that this day was far too long coming.

But, Mr. Obama is also our first mixed-race nominee. And as the mother of a mixed-race child, I'm glad to be witnessing this. And I'm glad it's coming about now, when my son is a baby. Hopefully this is a sign that the US is changing, that people will be judged less on the color of their skin and more on their character. I'm proud of our country today. I have hope.

No comments: