Sunday, June 29, 2008

Here's an idea

How about we stop shooting for all these weather records here in Seattle? Anyone with me? We've gone from record cold to record hot. Not such a fan of either. At the moment we're huddled in Ethan's room around the portable AC, watching TV on the tiny TV in there with the sound turned way down so that it doesn't wake him up. I think we're sleeping in there tonight too. Family slumber party!

Such a busy weekend. We saw tons of friends and relatives and are completely exhausted. But it was a really fun weekend too, so it's all good!

We had a very interesting/inspiring/slightly frightening sermon today by a guest speaker. He was talking about trials, since his family is going through an ongoing one, with their youngest son having some extremely severe health issues that mean he will be infant-like for his entire life. The speaker had a lot of amazing things to say, but one part particularly spoke to me, given what's going on right now in our lives.

He read from Isaiah 40, specifically verse 31: Yet those who wait for the LORD
Will gain new strength
They will mount up with wings like eagles,
They will run and not get tired,
They will walk and not become weary.

He focused in on the word "wait" at the beginning of the verse and went on to explain that, in this context, the word "wait" isn't a passive waiting, not just sitting around on the couch and moping. It's an active waiting, one he compared to the word "set" in track terms. It's the same as when runners are at the block, and the starter says "ready, set". They aren't sitting back and waiting, they're poised to leap into action.

So this is the kind of waiting God wants us to do. Easier said than done sometimes, I know. But I am going to try to have that kind of attitude toward all the great unknowns right now. I know God has our lives in the palm of His hand, and if it's going to be a long wait, I know He'll give me the energy and faith to keep trusting him. Right now that seems unimaginable, but I don't have to worry about how I'm going to have faith in 6 months or a year (please, God, don't let it take that long for Daniel to find a job!), I'm going to just act out my faith right now and trust day by day.

In other, far less spiritual news, I've completely concluded that my hair is just not meant for fancy haircuts. It's getting worse by the day. I kid you not. The heat is not helping, since it's too hot to spend time drying it just right, but I'm overall spending twice as much time as pre-haircut getting it to look decent, and it's coming out looking far less presentable. I think the rest of my gift card is going to have to be spent on other salon services. Cheapie haircuts, here I come!

2 comments:

carrie said...

Oh, yes this heat is OBSCENE!

And, I wish I had all the answers too, but sometimes you just have to trust that it'll all work out as it is meant to! ;)

Ashley said...

The heat today has been SO not fun! We don't have a portable AC, but we've got to get one! We spent time sitting close to the screen door, trying to get some nice breezes and drinking ice water, haha! I hope everything works out for you really well and I'm sure it will! Keep having that faith!