Sunday, June 1, 2008

Breathing a sigh of relief

My baby is napping in his crib. My husband is napping on the couch. The cats are napping on various pillows. And, most amazingly enough, my house is empty of all visitors or preparations for upcoming visitors. We have no one scheduled to come stay with us again until September!!! I've enjoyed all the family visits and help with Ethan, but I am so glad to have the place to ourselves again for a while.

Daniel's parents showed up Friday night at dinner time, and I took off with my friends for the women's retreat around 7:30. I hadn't even made it fully out the door before my mother-in-law was in Ethan's room seeing what he was up to. Friday night I got some sleep with no one waking up and begging for a pacifier!!! (We have got to wean him off sleeping with his paci...). Saturday we were up early and enjoyed coffee by the pond, while waiting for breakfast, which was scheduled for the ridiculously late hour of 8:30 AM. We then had a great lecture and some time to pray and read on our own, followed by lunch (we ate a lot) and more workshops in the afternoon. Finally we had dinner then headed back to Seattle. Even though I leave Ethan at daycare three times a week, I'm still used to seeing him in the mornings, so not seeing him at all on Saturday was getting pretty old by the time I got home late Saturday night. Fortunately, he was sleeping deeply and I was able to pick him up and snuggle him for a while (something that he rarely allows).

I'm glad I went to the retreat- I really needed to hang out with other women and be part of their wisdom and their life experiences and their joy in life. I'd started to forget that there was life outside of motherhood. God really blessed me in the time I was there, both with the retreat and the time spent driving there and home with my friends. I'm so very glad I went.

Now it's back to real life and all it entails. I cannot believe that today is June 1st- we have a lot going on this summer, but it should be mostly fun things, so that's good.

Life has been challenging and busy lately, but I was reminded this weekend how very present God is in all those things, even the hard ones. And I needed that reminder and the renewing of my spirit to keep going, through the piles of laundry and baby food making, the piles of work on my desk and the endless emails from my coworkers. He is in it all, and this is where He has placed me right now. It's not glamorous or exciting, but it is my place and where He wants me to be and to serve. And today (we'll see how long it lasts), I know that there is nowhere else I would rather be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Carrie that was very profound! You have made me step back and look at my life to see all the good that is in it. Thank you!

Take care!!

Jenifer (mazigra0925)

AZMom said...

sounds like a much needed night away. I'm glad you had a good time. It always makes us realize how much we miss the little munchkins when we leave them for an evening or 2.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!