Sunday, May 18, 2008

Update

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. It's been a very long day.

My mom woke up randomly last night around 1:30 AM and saw the missed calls light flashing on her phone- she got up and heard the voicemails from my uncle and myself. She said today that she was really thankful that she found out then and not first thing this morning. Now we're just hoping she'll be able to find someone to cover for her at work and a plane ticket out here so that she can be here for the funeral. I know it's going to break her heart if she can't be with the family at this time. They were very close, as my great-aunt was only 10 years older than my mom, and so they pretty much grew up together. We're all still waiting to hear when the funeral will be though, since this was classified as a violent accident, an autopsy has to be done.

We're getting more information on what happened yesterday, both from my family and from the news. I'm finally going numb to the sight of the crash photos on TV and the internet. According to my grandmother, the other person who died had actually gotten himself and his wife out initially, then he went back to try to get my great-aunt out, but couldn't get her seatbelt off. He was a surgeon, so I'm sure it was not in his nature to give up on saving someone. Unfortunately he did not succeed. We mourn for his wife and family as well, but are grateful for his efforts.

I just still cant believe my great-aunt Roberta is gone. She was the most energetic person I've ever met- despite her diabetes and failing eyesight, she was our family's version of Martha Stewart- always working on a craft or growing something or canning something- or doing all of the above at the same time. Our family just isn't going to be the same without her. I'm glad she's at peace in heaven now, but we weren't ready to be without her here. We'll miss you, Aunt Roberta.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I am so sorry for your loss. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

The Tacheny's said...

I am so Sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.