Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Always second guessing...

That's the curse of motherhood, isn't it. Constantly wondering if you've done/said the right thing. Worrying because your child is a completely unique individual, and so are you, so there's no one that you can check things against. This does not suit my personality... not at all...

Anyway, today I'm having a battle with my pre-mom personality versus my mom personality. One of the things I hate most in life is bothering people. Any people. Even people that I pay to bother. Including the doctor. We've only taken Ethan in for well-baby visits so far, and I've only left phone messages with the doctor twice, once when he'd been constipated for 4 days, and once when he threw up all over me.

Last week Ethan caught a cold. He's still coughing and still has a runny nose. This week Daniel and I caught it, and it's a nasty bug. I totally understand why Ethan's been so cranky. A few days ago, Ethan started pulling on his ear. Not constantly, but often. But he didn't seem upset about it, so I kind of let it go. Especially since he's also teething and some of the books/websites said that teething pain can lead to ear tugging. But then today I realized that he's also been screaming when we lay him down flat, which is apparently another symptom of an earache.

I finally dealt with my fear of "bothering" the doctor and called for an appointment for tomorrow (I don't have access to a car today). I did have a lot of ear problems as a kid, so it's likely that Ethan will too. And we're going to Victoria on Friday, and I don't want him getting more sick in Canada when we're far from our doctors. So now I've shifted my guilt and second-guessing to worrying if I should have found a way to get him to the doctor today. Even though he seems to be pretty much okay. Sigh. THIS JOB IS HARD!!!! Is there an instruction manual somewhere that I didn't get? Anyone have a spare copy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister, amen! If you find a copy of the manual please let me know. ~Amanda

carrie said...

You learn as you go. Trust yourself, and you (and Ethan) will be fine.

Also, if there is anything I know to be true, it is that you can NEVER call the doctor too many times! Don't even think about whether you are bothering them or not, it doesn't matter.

Karen said...

If your ped's office is like mine you can call and talk to the nurse before making an appointment. I always do this first, get any feedback or advice from her and then make an appointment if necessary after I've spoken with her. It helps a lot.

Sorry he's so sick. It's misery for everyone.