Monday, March 17, 2008

Someone please explain this to me

Please explain to me exactly how the human race has not died out, given the inherent stupidity that comes along with parenthood? Seriously.

Today was day one of the 4 day Toxicology conference. Turns out there were actually 7000 of us very cool, not at all nerdy people that descended upon downtown Seattle. I spent the day listening to science talks, reading poster and catching up with co-workers, old and current. This is the first time that I really felt like I was hanging out with my "peeps". Yes, I just referred to a bunch of scientists as "peeps", thereby cementing my status as "sadly not at all cool". So far it's actually been a lot of fun. Going back to our office (which is fortunately only a 10 minute walk from the convention center) to pump every 3.5 hours is definitely making things more complicated though. I could do without that.

Back to the stupidity. In the afternoon, I ran across my grad school advisor and a former co-worker. And they let me know that someone involved with my thesis research was requesting some of our air sampling data. From 6 years ago. I just stared at them. I barely remember yesterday. People asked me why I wasn't wearing green today and I informed them that it's a miracle if I know what month it is, knowing the actual day and what holiday it is is a lost cause. All that to say, there is no way in hell that I remember anything about air sampling data from 6 years ago. Just don't even bother.

We actually did go to a St. Patrick's Day party tonight, thrown by the father of a friend of Daniel's. We ate well. And drank well. I should probably go to bed to sleep both off, since tomorrow is going to start very early and end very very late.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all!

2 comments:

JCK said...

Happy St. Patrick's day to you!

I can't imagine having to be at work and pumping. I know that must be incredibly challenging. And the Mommy brain thing. It is temporary...well, sort of.

AZMom said...

Having kids and working is hard enough without people expecting us to remember data too :-)

Happy St Pats!