Thursday, February 7, 2008

Things I'm thinking about

My baby is running a fever tonight. A little one. I hope it's just teething related, because I hate to call in sick on my 3rd day back at work. But that might get them used to it.

So, I was just in the bathroom, and happened to see the bottom of Ethan's inflatable bathtub. In French, the words were "advertissment". In English, it said "warning". Interesting that the word in French for warning is so close to our word for advertising. I believe that though. Especially when you have a baby. You have to have the "right" version of everything. Having name brand items goes from being a status symbol of your money, to a status symbol of how much you love your child. After all, who wouldnt want their baby to have the "best" of everything.

Today was my church new moms' group. I was hesitant at first about joining this group, but it's turned out to be one of the most amazing blessings in my life. I love the woman who opens her home to us and to the other moms who come. All of us who come regularly are in our 30s, have mixed race/culture kids, and just have a lot in common. That's such a blessing to me. Today we had a lady from our church come speak to us who has 4 kids, and who has been a missionary for many years. And the things she said really struck close to home, because they are things I've been thinking about lately. Including warning us to not be so caught up in the name brands and spending our time trying to pick the "right" outfit for our babies that we miss out on other things that God is leading us to.

One of the other things that she talked about was our roles as Christian wives. Mainly, we are to be a helper to our husbands. Which I believe, 150%. And I'm worried that my job, even part-time, is going to get in the way of me being that helper to Daniel. Because he's going to have to take on some more responsibilities at home if I work. And I'm really conflicted in myself (and was before today) as to whether that's right for us right now. His job sucks these days, to be honest. He comes home stressed and tired, and I dont want to make that worse. It's another one of those things that I'm not going to know until we try though. Maybe he'll really enjoy his morning hours with Ethan, since he doesn't always see him that much on weekdays.

It's hard to be a good Christian wife sometimes (all the time). Especially when you're very strong-willed and selfish. I definitely need to pray about this more! I think trying to find the balance of what makes me/Daniel/Ethan happy and fulfilled is going to take, oh, the rest of my life. :)

To Karen- yes, they have music classes at daycare. And Spanish lessons! Another reason why daycare is so much more fun than home!

No comments: