Wednesday, January 2, 2008

My first meme

I saw this on another blog this AM, and thought it was a good idea to help me reflect on 2007.


1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Was pregnant, gave birth. Traveled to New York City and actually left the airport.


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I cant remember making any last year. I think Daniel and I were still way too much in shock about the pregnancy to be able to look at any goals beyond that. I was only about 8 weeks pregnant at New Year's last year, so my only goal/resolution was to do everything possible to keep the baby healthy.

I have a bunch for this year: spend more time doing quality activities with Ethan (reading, music, etc). Learn more about my in-laws and develop a deeper relationship with them. Escape the fog-world that I'm living in right now.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
LOTS of people. Tons of friends from church and me, of course.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. Praise the Lord.

5. What countries did you visit?
Just Canada. Not that there's anything wrong with Canada.


6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
More confidence in my new self, more balance between different areas of my life.

7.What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 4-10. They started trying to get Ethan out on the 4th and he finally showed up on the 10th. Boy, he owes me some giant Mother's Day gifts.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Ethan.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Nothing specific. But I've become sort of a brat lately, and I don't like that.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just a complicated pregnancy. But we all got through it fine.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new clothes, last week. I accepted that I'm not going to get all this baby weight off for a while, and decided to spend some money on nicer clothes.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My beloved, wonderful, practically-a-saint husband. He's amazing. I've not heard one word of complaint from him, despite the fact that he's overworked, exhausted and has had to put up with a hormonal wife all year. I've never loved him more.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Mine. Unfortunately.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Target.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
See, there's the problem. I don't really get excited about things anymore. Like I said above, I feel like I'm in a bit of a fog. No real happy emotions, no real sad emotions. I was thrilled to have Ethan arrive, but even anticipating the birth was more scary than exciting, because of what I knew I had to go through.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Casting Crowns- Praise you in the storm.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:? a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
This is depressing- happier, fatter and poorer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I'd been nice to my husband more.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I didn't enjoy the moment enough. I was (and am) always waiting for something.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
At my in-laws in Canada. On Christmas Day itself, we went out for dim sum (along with about 1 billion Chinese people) and then drove home to the States. Then we opened presents at home that night. Not a real traditional Christmas.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Yes, with my son.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Jon and Kate plus 8. Or How I met your mother.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Intensely dislike someone, but I didn't like him last year either.

24. What was the best book you read?
I read so many books that I have a hard time remembering individual ones. Nothing in particular sticks out.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I have no idea.

26. What did you want and get?
A healthy baby.

27. What did you want and not get?
A baby who was born potty-trained :)

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Didn't see many- I liked Harry Potter 5.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I had some friends over for a small party a few days after my birthday- on my birthday itself, I took a half day off work, went to the library, did some shopping, sat in a coffee shop and read a book and then went to a fancy dinner with my husband. I was 30 this year.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Nothing really.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
I was pregnant. Enough said.

32. What kept you sane?
Daniel. He's amazing.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I have loved Vern Yip for years. And we got cable this fall so I was able to watch him on HGTV, which made me very happy.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Haven't paid attention to politics. I'll worry about it next year.

35. Who did you miss?
Me. The real me. The one who had emotions and got excited about things and didn't live in a fog.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
The L&D nurses were amazing people. And I have gotten to know some of the women at church a bit more and think they're pretty amazing.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Babies really do change your life, both for better and for worse. And even in the bad times, you wouldn't change anything for the world.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Disclaimer- I know that most people who love this song are going through some sort of really rough time. And I have had a pretty good year. But it's been full of upheavals and changes and unknowns, and that's been really hard for me. And this song has been my reminder to cling to God and trust Him, even when I don't know where I'm going and what I'm going to do once I get to the place that He's leading me.

"Praise You In This Storm"
I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth

2 comments:

BJ said...

Carrie, this was great for me to read. Let's me learn a little more about you. I first came across your blog through Karen at The Big Trade-Off. She was sending people your way to encourage you as you were soon to be a mommy. But I've never left! And I'm glad. It's so fun and encouraging to watch you walk this road from afar. You're doing great. The change IS hard. Sometimes I LOVE what I do. Sometimes I want to run away screaming. But thankfully, we do have a Saviour Who has redeemed us, and will carry us when we can't walk. I pray you and your family be blessed in this new year. Thanks for giving me a peek into you.

Pam said...

Couldn't have said it better myself Carrie:) Such an honest post. I too know what the old me was like and I miss her. It makes me wonder when I lost my excitement over the little things and why.

Hang in there - but if you're not getting better, go talk to your doctor.