Friday, January 25, 2008

Like the Eskimos and their words for snow

The sun is shining again here in Seattle, so I'm contemplating going for a walk with the baby later on today. I need to take advantage of the good weather before the bad weather returns tomorrow. Of course, going out involves combing my hair (or I could just put the hood up on my coat...). So, we'll see if I make it out or not.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I really think that parents need more versions of the word "tired". It loses it's effectiveness after a while because, as my husband points out to me, I'm always tired. But it is a different type all the time. Some days I have "the baby wanted to eat multiple times last night" tired. Or "too many frantic emails from work today" tired. Or "I cant believe my husband is even willing to consider us going through another pregnancy, but it would be so much easier than adoption so who knows" tired. And in Daniel's case, it's the "work sucks and my wife is insane and the baby is teething and I have a cold" tired.

You get the drift. These things all have very different causes and very different effects on my mood and behavior. So lumping them together is just not right! But it takes way more time than Daniel or I actually have to explain the reasoning behind our tiredness of the day. So we just say "tired", and often remain unaware of the things that accompany that day's tiredness in each other.

Today it's yet another case of "my baby just will not nap or sleep through the night and I'm afraid I've screwed up all his routines and that he'll never sleep again and oh my goodness they're going to hate him at daycare because he wont nap" tired. I know he needs to nap and we were doing so well for a while. But lately it's been a battle at every single naptime and he usually wins. I can only handle a maximum of crying, and he has more energy to cry than I have to listen to it.

But, I'm not going to worry about that right now. I'm going to comb my hair and we're going to go for a walk and enjoy the sunshine. And I'm going to wrap my friend's baby present and get excited about going to her baby shower tomorrow. She's having a boy, so there's less cute-clothing-envy than I have at the showers for baby girls. And maybe there will be cake!

No comments: