Thursday, December 20, 2007

Performance anxiety

Ethan has a bit of performance anxiety these days. We keep telling people that he finally rolled over (front to back), and keep trying to show people, both in person and over webcam. And nothing. Ethan just lies on his stomach and screams. Thank goodness I got it on video once, so I know I didn't hallucinate the whole thing.

My silly little boy has developed a new, fun trick. This usually takes place when he's in bed, falling asleep. He pulls the paci out of his mouth and waves it around in the air, all the time screaming because he has no paci in his mouth. Then Daniel or I come in the room, give him back his paci and he's quiet and happy. Repeat at least 6 times before sleep. In general, he's losing interest in the paci except at nap time. Mostly because he likes to talk. All the time.

I've had a couple of encouraging experiences in the last 24 hours. At the women's dessert last night, there was a really good speaker who talked about a number of things, including anxiety. I've been dealing with a bit of that lately, as I try to juggle my old life and my new life and all the challenges and responsibilities that have come along lately. And today at our new moms' group, our pastor's wife visited and shared with us about things she learned in regards to how to allow her husband to find his place as a new dad, and how to support him in that process.

Then I got home and discovered that the cats had been digging in our bathroom garbage can (eeew!) and they later decided to knock over the diaper pile. Clean diapers, fortunately. But it was still a good day, and I'm glad to have had it.

No comments: