Monday, October 29, 2007

Monday's topic

One of the lovely women over at Seattle Mom Blogs gave us this assignment to write about today: How long have you lived in Seattle? Why here, of all places? Where else would you live, given your choice, and why?

1. I have lived in Seattle since September, 2001. Before that I was a missionary in Ukraine, then came home and lived with my parents for the summer in Pittsburgh, and worked as a telemarketer. Not my favorite job memory. Then I packed up my belongings, and drove to Seattle with my grandmother (who had flown out from Portland to keep me company on the drive).

2. I moved to Seattle to go to graduate school at the University of Washington. But I was inspired to apply for grad school here because most of my extended family is out on the West Coast. My parents grew up in Portland, and I lived in the Portland area until I was 12, when Dad's job moved us to Tennessee. When I was applying for grad schools, I wanted to attend one close to my relatives, so that I could get to know them all again.

3. Seattle is home for me. I've moved a lot in my life, but have never lived anywhere that just felt so right. I love so much about this city. I'll be very sad if we ever have to leave. No plans to do so though, as my husband loves it here too.

4 comments:

BJ said...

I'd love to visit someday. Sleepless in Seattle is one of my favorite sappy movies. :)

Monique said...

Thank you so much for participating! I am still so "new" to Seattle I love to hear why everyone calls this place home!

carrie said...

Wow! You've had a pretty fascinating life so far . . .

It is always interesting for me to hear why people move here since I've lived in the area I do for almost my entire life (except college and a few years in Alaska for Dad's job - but we rented our house out and returned right back where we were!).

Glad you're calling Seattle "home".

The Daring One said...

Seattle's one of those rare places that I love just for itself, regardless of who else lives there. It's just a loveable town and just feels like home to me.